78' Chevy C10 Pickup transmission problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

78' Chevy C10 Pickup transmission problems

I have a 78' Chevy C10 Pickup, 350 SBC, not sure what Tranny I have. Maybe 350. I'm still new and this is my first build. Everything was running fine yesterday, near perfect except the small leak I have in my exhaust Manifold due to bad gaskets.

So yesterday, my tranny dipstick did not show it was full, and I checked while it was hot. A friend told me today that it could be an after market dipstick that did not reach all the way. I added 1 QT of Fluid. Did not drive it after that.

Today, I started up, let it warm up, and started down the street when my fluid started leaking, actually what happened was the hose that connected to my radiator that runs tranny fluid through it blew off like it was under serious pressure. I pretty sure I lost all of my fluid. I parked my truck and hooked the hose back up and my truck would not accelerate that good. I let the truck sit all day.

So this evening I added 1 QT of fluid and the truck started up fine. The dip stick still shows that more needs to be added. I tried to drive my truck and it does not move at all after I shift. When I put it in reverse it shakes a little bit, like it wants to move but it doesn't.

First, I think I added fluid when it did not need any and that is what caused the hose to be under pressure and blow off.

Now, I think I don't have enough fluid. I'm not too knowledgeable on Trannys. How much fluid should I add. I found different responses on the internet, anywhere to 4 qts, to 12 qts. If I need 12 qts, then I need to add 11 more and that will be quite expensive as each qt is 7.99 at AutoZone.

Please educate me and tell me what I did wrong to begin with, for example if I added to much, is what I experienced typical, and next, is my truck not moving because I don't have enough fluid. I hope this is not a Tranny problem that needs to be fixed. New Starter, and Torque Converter, and Flex Plate, but Could I have messed one of those up?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just 2 qt's low is enough to keep your truck from moving. Keep adding it untill it shows on the dipstick and it should start moving. After it gets warm from driving, then add it to the full when hot mark. Always check the fluid with the engine running in park. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.