78 firebird front brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

78 firebird front brakes

Does anyone know if the front brakes on a 78 firebird are the same as the ones on the trans am? Are they the same as the camaro? I'm having a tuff time finding a front brake upgrade kit that fits my car specifically. I see a lot for the camaro but I'm not sure if they are the same. I would think they are, but i want to make sure.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Found this. How's it look? Price ok?
1978 PONTIAC FIREBIRD Wilwood Dynalite Pro Series Front Disc Brake Kits 140-11007 - SummitRacing.com
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

yes they are all the same,
the ws6 package brought rear disc to the car.. the fronts are the same..
Old 02-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
yes they are all the same,
the ws6 package brought rear disc to the car.. the fronts are the same..
Awesome thanks. How does that kit i posted look to you? Seems like a pretty good deal to me..
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

7 bills for brakes do you really need that??
with no better swept area over the stockers,,
I'd hunt around team camaro forum for links to the b body brake swap.. that gets you 12" rotors..
I'm willing to bet there is calp. brackets to install c4/5/6 vette brakes
the fiero guys did it , the monte SS guys, I'm sure the f body guys have also..
the fiero guys use the fiero rotor "hub" machinging off the rotor and then the vette rotors slip on top after changing the lug pattern , it moves the wheels out 1/4" but get 13-14" brakes= more swept area..

this is a SS thread that shows the 2wd blazer spindle with c5 brakes used on 78-88 g.m. g bodys..
http://www.montecarloss.com/communit...863#Post933863

point being there is more ways to skin a cat..
the kit you listed is nice but , the rotors are the same size as the factory f body.. 4 pistons great, same swept area, not ideal.. a little lighter than stock, good, but at 7 bills.. unless your firechicken needs everything(rotors/clappers/lies/etc, you won't get much for that 7 bills,, without a supporting cast..(better springs/shocks/roll bar/ tires/etc..

Last edited by gearheadslife; 02-26-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

I looked into the c5 bake upgrade and parts will run me about $650. The b body stuff seems like it will still need some upgrades if i intend to do any track driving, and it will still cost me over $450 just for stock parts.
I get what you're saying about the wilwood kit being factory size though. The car is getting lower 2" in front will new shocks and braided lines. Rear is getting disks and a 4 link with coilovers. With the disks in the rear and 4 pistons on the front will it be up to that task of doing some track driving?
Plus the car will be somewhat lighter than stock.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

remember the t/a shock mount was never engineered to hold up the car, if use'n coil overs you'll need to add a crossmember and tie that in to the car well .
they are nice brakes, but I'm cheap and those cars are heavy even when you toss everything you can.. and nose heavy..
I think my 80 almost was 50/50 weight front to rear with NO ENGINE INSTALLED.. bigger front swept area will be better for a track car..
good luck. the are listed as med/duty you'll have more brake than tire.. most likely.. you changing the a-arms?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

All I'm doing in the front is brake upgrade, new coil springs, and fresh shocks. The rear I'm using the Heidts 4 link setup. It's bolt in an looks like high quality. I've heard a lot of good reviews on it.
I know these cars are heavy but I'm hoping to drop a few pounds with the ls swap, relocated battery, lightweight seats and other odds and ends to lighten/even out the weight.
I'd love to go tubular suspension in the front but if I'm dropping at least 4 grand on the ls and 4 link i don't know if another 1000 is in the budget. Plus I don't know if the benefit is worth the price. The stock setup handles pretty well as-is.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.