78 Nova To 67 Chevy Brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2004, 12:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

78 Nova To 67 Chevy Brakes

is it posible to convert the disc brake set up plus power booster from a 78 nova to a 67 chevy pick up? if there is any info on this subject and or a website some where that can assit in this swap that would be fine as well. the 67 chevy pick up currently has 6 lug drum brakes and i want to go with 5 lug disc with power boost. thanks in advance for any info.
SLOWMOE

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2004, 06:54 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

I'm thinking that even if you could get the truck's suspension to accept the smaller nova setup I doubt that it will have ample stopping power for that truck.

78 Nova = 3500lbs
67 Pickup = 5000+lbs

Just not something I'd try.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

believe it or not the 67 chevy pick up weighs 3626 lb. according to the scales at our local track. i believe that the chevy has the nova out weighed by only 126 lbs. that can't be to much more weight for a brake swap could it? oh and i am also doing a stiffer suspension upgrade as well. my main thought of this conversion is, will the spindels fit?
thanks for the reply !
Old 06-26-2004, 08:45 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Wow, I really expected a heavier truck! In that case you're right, the weight is nill as long as you don't put over a half ton in the back. I believe the max load for my car is 1250lbs of passengers +cargo.

In this case the only way I see that you're gonna be able to tell if it'll fit is measuring and the good old seat of your pants method.

EDIT: One other thing that might add some difficulty that I just thought of: The rear drum brakes on your truck are most likely larger units than were on that nova. Thus requiring more fluid displaced to apply the brakes. I don't know how well the nova master cylinder would like that and you may wind up with soft brakes. Or it might not even be an issue.

Last edited by 78novaman; 06-26-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

It'd probably be easier to use '71-'87 truck parts, and the brakes would be bigger.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:00 AM

Last photo:

thanks novaman!
a buddy of mine and i bought the car so that he could get the engine for a project and i am getting the front brake system! i'll be doing some accasional strip racing and pulling my 19 1/2 foot boat with my truck and need some better brakes............disc brakes! the rear brake of my chevy is in good shape so i will not need those rears from the nova. the rest of the nova will be parted out as some one needs it. i'm not sure of my load capacity on the truck, but i think my tounge weight is 1200lbs(?) i'm gonna start the swap on monday i'll let you know how it turns out!

jimfulco,
most of the trucks i have found have already been stripped and had no brakes, booster or master cylinder! thus the reason i decided to go with what was available. i probably could have looked a lil' bit harder but the nova came along and looked like a good fit so i stopped the search! thanks!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.