78 Nova, 79 T/A rear disc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 01:15 PM

Last journal entry: 1978 Nova
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

78 Nova, 79 T/A rear disc

Hello, I did a search on rear disc brakes, but nothing was too specific for what I have, although it did give me a few other ideas to check out for my application.

The vehicle is a 1978 Nova Coupe with 1979 Trans-Am rear disc brakes. I have the master cylinder and proportioning valve from the Pontiac. The emergency brake is not setup as the cables were too long. Are the '79 T/A rear disc brakes needing to be adjusted with the e-brake hooked up?

My question is, how do I get the e-brake working again and does this affect how the brake pedal itself acts, ie: going all the way to the floor. I have 16 inches of steady manifold vacuum.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Your pedal is going to the floor either because of a leak or air in the system. If you pump the brakes, does it build up pressure?

The parking brake cables won't have any effect on the brake adjustments, but there's no adjusting to disc brakes.

Since the cable is too long, take a look at the way it's set up. There should be a point where the both the cables go into a bracket. Look to see how they are on there. Hook up the whole cable assembly (from the cable in the car to the bracket) and make the cables shorter. The slack can be taken out with the bolt on the bracket, all you have to do is tighten it. I know that doesn't sound like too much help, but it should be pretty self explanitory when you are looking at it. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.