78 trans am rear suspension upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

78 trans am rear suspension upgrade

Hello guys..newbie here.iam building a street strip car with about 600hp.iam wanting to redo the rear suspension. .coilovers..with ladder bars..iam wanting to go with a 15 X 12 wheel and a mini tub..iam wanting to tackle this myself ..I have great craftsmen skills .iam positive I can Handel it ..with some knowledge and pointers from u guys ..anyone recommend a set up ?..I was looking at the torque arm set up .bit a little costly ..open for suggestions

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78transamjay View Post
Hello guys..newbie here.iam building a street strip car with about 600hp.iam wanting to redo the rear suspension. .coilovers..with ladder bars..iam wanting to go with a 15 X 12 wheel and a mini tub..iam wanting to tackle this myself ..I have great craftsmen skills .iam positive I can Handel it ..with some knowledge and pointers from u guys ..anyone recommend a set up ?..I was looking at the torque arm set up .bit a little costly ..open for suggestions
I currently have a 190 amp mig welder.will this be sufficient enough to Handel the install?
Old 07-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Either the torque arm. or truck arms or 4 link.. we have not used ladder bars in 30 years.. You welder is fine..

look at art morrison catalog and do that to get the best bite..

Sam
78transamjay (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 01:54 PM
More for Less Racer

Why do all that chopping the car up when Cal-Tracs and Calvert Split-Mono leafs will get the job done, even at 800-900 HP?? Slight mini-tub, either offset spring hangers or sliders, offset front spring mount/frame connecters, and you're done

If you do have to cut the car up , do something better than ladder bars....4-link is the same amount of work and ends up a much better set-up than ladder bars.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
Why do all that chopping the car up when Cal-Tracs and Calvert Split-Mono leafs will get the job done, even at 800-900 HP?? Slight mini-tub, either offset spring hangers or sliders, offset front spring mount/frame connecters, and you're done

If you do have to cut the car up , do something better than ladder bars....4-link is the same amount of work and ends up a much better set-up than ladder bars.
would u suggest getting a new rear housing or can I still use mine.? 4 link was my first suggestion.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:41 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
would u suggest getting a new rear housing or can I still use mine.? 4 link was my first suggestion.
What rear housing do you currently have??

If it is the stock 8.5" 10-bolt, it can be beefed up enough to run in the 9's quarter mile, but will be on it's upper limit at that point and you might be better off putting the same upgrades into a stronger housing to start with.

If that is the case, and you want a stronger starting point, either Dana 60 or a back braced or full fabricated 9" housing would be the best place to start.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
What rear housing do you currently have??

If it is the stock 8.5" 10-bolt, it can be beefed up enough to run in the 9's quarter mile, but will be on it's upper limit at that point and you might be better off putting the same upgrades into a stronger housing to start with.

If that is the case, and you want a stronger starting point, either Dana 60 or a back braced or full fabricated 9" housing would be the best place to start.
thank u
It is a stock rear .but the guy that owned it before me had installed 411 gears. I don't know if it is all stock inside..
I see 4 link kits with a frame set up coil overs and rear housing .is that just for a full tub back half?.
Now when I go to install the mini tubs I believe that the frame portion of the body would be removed .how would that be reinforced..
would a universal 4 link work for my application.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:04 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
thank u
It is a stock rear .but the guy that owned it before me had installed 411 gears. I don't know if it is all stock inside..
I see 4 link kits with a frame set up coil overs and rear housing .is that just for a full tub back half?.
Now when I go to install the mini tubs I believe that the frame portion of the body would be removed .how would that be reinforced..
would a universal 4 link work for my application.
When I say stock rear axle beefed up, I mean the tubes fully welded to the center, some additional tubular bracing added between the axle tubes and the center section to prevent flex, larger 30 or 33 spline axles and spool added, rear girdle cover added, solid pinion bearing spacer.

You can mini-tub a lot of ways, such as frame notching to inner edge of subframe, and adding stiffer flat bracing to remaining rear subframe rail, and just widening the stock inner wheelhouse or buying wider stock style rear formed wheelhousings....this is the method usually done with leaf springs and stock style mounting points with offset hangers....and is the most popular style at this time....pro street is considered butchering one up, unless it is a total rust ball.
Several examples here of Nova's, but Camaro/Firebird is basically the same :
Lets see some 68- 72 Nova mini tub pics - Yellow Bullet Forums

Or you can go to the chop it all out from behind the drivers seat to the rear bumper and add a premade "back-half" frame kit that includes a 4-link and coil-overs if that is what you want...this approach absolutely requires a roll cage be installed at the same time, in order to properly support it all.

You can find several more mini-tub threads at the YellowBullet Forums in the "Let's Talk Drag Racing" section and the "Build Thread's" section.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.