78F150 shortbed 4by-granny 4 speed,300six & 301 turbo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Tyler

Wiki Edits: 0

78F150 shortbed 4by-granny 4 speed,300six & 301 turbo

I bought a 78 F150 shortbed with a 300 six and granny fourspeed. It had a cheap lift and 44" tires when I bought it 6 years ago. My original plan was to build a mudder because that used to be one of my favorite pastimes. I Put a good lift kit on it(7 inch no lift blocks & Dana 60 rear) and started doing body work, because it was in rough shape. Well, I had the truck tore apart and my every day driver's engine went out. This was about 11:00 am and I had to be at work at 3:00 am that night. I called the insurance company and set that up and had the truck together by that night. I had a few issues for the next month or so, but after that the truck did fine. I put 35" street fires on it,new steering box and brakes and It drove like a brand new truck. It was getting 20 mpg with the big tire and lift in town. The truck will get up and go quick up to 55mph but after that with no passing gear forget about passing cars. This part I don't like, but I don't feel like going through the trouble of changine engines. An easy swap never is. I remembered a 301 pontiac turbo I picked up at a swap meet years earlier and got to thinking. 301 cubic inch pontiac and 300 cubic inch Ford six. Hmmmm. The 301 turbo is an exhaust turbine withturbo and waste gate bolted toghether. It is a draw through design which bolts onto the intake where the carburetor normally does. It has it's own intake bolted onto the input side of the turbo. I went to a website dedicated to 301 Pontiac turbo enthusiasts to find info. The turbo supposebly was a little small for 300 cubic inches, but they listed all kind of modifications and some claimed to get as much as 16 pounds of boost. The high boost # is probably due to the 301's restrictive intake. The 300 six has much bigger intake runners, and intake ports. I priced a rebuild kit for the turbo at $111.00 but am thinking about sending it to turbonetics to build. They have a patented seal that is much better than stock, but some turbo's they can upgrade. I'll have to find out if this is one of them. I've got to call Comp Cams(had good luck with them) to find out what they say about a cam. I know you have to have a wider lobe seperation, because if the exhaust valve is held open too long while the intake valve is open the boost will push gas and air into the exhaust manifold. Loss of power and hot manifolds. The 300 six from the factory is 8.5 to one compression but no forged pistons are available. The 301 had cast pistons. I guess as long as I use good gas this shouldn't be a problem. I know of a way to retard timing according to boost using the vaccum cannister if there is detonation. I've built 500 hp big block hot rods, but this I believe is the most interesting thing I've played with so far. Any info., advice, comments----jtyler

Oh I almost forgot. I don't have the original carb. for the turbo. I could call holley, but I noticed the Predator carburetor is rated 500 to 900 cfm & can work with supercharger or draw through turbo with no modifications. I've seen 500 cfm four barrels run on these six cylinders when hotrodded, but the predator is used on monster trucks. I don't know If the 300 will take that much carburetor even if turbo'd---any info---thank's

f

Advertisement

Last edited by jtyler; 08-21-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Violating consensual reality

Last journal entry: '64 hood
Last photo:

The best source for inline engine information I have found is at www.inliners.org. They have a bulletin board section called "Forced Induction". You may try asking them.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

You can find all kinds of conflicting information on the LSA for blower cams, but Blower Drive Service says to use 110* for gasoline and a little wider for alcohol. I don't know, it may be a little different with a turbo, where there is backpressure in the exhaust system.

They also have a formula for figuring CFM required with what boost and CID.
{(CID x RPM) 3456} x {Boost 14.7) + 1}
So, in the first part of the formula, if you had 300 cubic inches times 6K rpm's, that would be 300 times 6000 divided by 3456 or 520 cfm, which would be the naturally aspirated volume of air passing through the motor.
In the second part of the formula, if we were to use 16 lbs of boost divided by 14.7, that would equal 1.088. Adding 1 to that figure would yield 2.088. Multiplying 2.088 times 520 would find that at 16 psi, the motor would pass 1,085 CFM.

That would be at sea level. Use the proper atmospheric pressure in the formula for your particular altitude.
At 1,000 ft., use 14.4 instead of 14.7
At 2,000, 13.9
At 3,000, 13.4
At 4,000, 12.9
At 5,000, 12.4

Last edited by techinspector1; 08-21-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 PM

A point to consider is that a Pontiac 301 was an expermintial motor only made two or three years. The motor parts are very expensive. I made the mistake of rebuilding one for a 1981 Grand prix. The motor was all right but my money would have been better spent on a 350. Changing from a 300 to a 301 would be a nightmare. Go get a 351 or a 390 and put that in. Most ford mudders are staying with ford motors. The dana 60's a strong rear. Good luck on your project.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 PM
GM Tech

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericred
A point to consider is that a Pontiac 301 was an expermintial motor only made two or three years. The motor parts are very expensive. I made the mistake of rebuilding one for a 1981 Grand prix. The motor was all right but my money would have been better spent on a 350. Changing from a 300 to a 301 would be a nightmare. Go get a 351 or a 390 and put that in. Most ford mudders are staying with ford motors. The dana 60's a strong rear. Good luck on your project.
He wants to use the turbo from the 301 on his 300 inline six. I say go for it! Turbos are awesome and it will really help that big old 300 make some midrange and higher power where they start to die out. I can't imagine turbo lag being a problem with the 300 since it's a torque monster in stock form. The bottom end will handle lots of boost, they are very well built. Just don't rev the crap out of it. They have a very long stroke and the reciprocating assembly is heavy. I would think 16psi would be too much for pump gas though. I would try with 6-8psi first and slowly work my way up. I would find a good quadrajet and rebuild it, I wouldn't waste my money on a 390cfm Holley or a Predator. A Qjet will bolt right up and work great when properly tuned. I don't think there was anything really special about the carb that came on the 301, I think any Qjet from a 305 or 350 or so would work good.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I say go for it too, that would be a great project to undertake, just take it slow, and make sure you have everything ready. My brother in laws father has a late 80`s Ford F100 with a 300 straight six, it has over 300,000 miles on it without a rebuild or replacement. I have a article in mag where these 2 guys took a `63 Ford Falcon 2 door, they looked for a straight six and ended up with a `78 250 six banger. they did a rebuild with top quality components, They installed a turbo on it, a holley 2300 2 barrel carb, they run it in the quarter mile and started out on 7 pounds of boost and have been moving it up since, the best quarter mile time so far has been 11:85 on 17 pounds of boost, however on the second run it destroyed the head gasket, the engine only had 4 bolts around each cylinder and of course they used studs but it couldn`t hold that much cylinder pressure, they plan to try a Corteco gasket to see if that eliminates the issue. It also has a toyota air to air aftercooler, a ford 9 inch rear with posi and 4.56 gears. They estimate it`s making 350 horsepower at around 4800 RPM.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
I say go for it too, that would be a great project to undertake, just take it slow, and make sure you have everything ready. My brother in laws father has a late 80`s Ford F100 with a 300 straight six, it has over 300,000 miles on it without a rebuild or replacement. I have a article in mag where these 2 guys took a `63 Ford Falcon 2 door, they looked for a straight six and ended up with a `78 250 six banger. they did a rebuild with top quality components, They installed a turbo on it, a holley 2300 2 barrel carb, they run it in the quarter mile and started out on 7 pounds of boost and have been moving it up since, the best quarter mile time so far has been 11:85 on 17 pounds of boost, however on the second run it destroyed the head gasket, the engine only had 4 bolts around each cylinder and of course they used studs but it couldn`t hold that much cylinder pressure, they plan to try a Corteco gasket to see if that eliminates the issue. It also has a toyota air to air aftercooler, a ford 9 inch rear with posi and 4.56 gears. They estimate it`s making 350 horsepower at around 4800 RPM.
That is Will And Kelly Mcclaren your talking about, and the car has clocked a 10.85 in the 1/4, using a classic inlines aluminum head. Will and Kelly are on www.fordsix.com and work very closely with Mike, the owner of Classic Inlines. the car used to run 280 hp at the wheels, when it ran the 11.85, now runs 323 hp with the aluminum head at the wheels, which, do the math and it's about 400 hp at the crank. it also runs a 390cfm 4bbl now, instead of the 2bbl

this is a direct link to ford six's turbo/supercharger/ efi forum, need to log in, but they there's info on turbocharging both small ( 144-250 ) and big ( 240-300 ) ford six's, Does10's ( Will Mcclaren ) has a lot of information as well as another member who did a budget setup to a 150,000 mile '82 mustang 200, Lincs200. http://fordsix.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

I'm using a simmilar turbo to the Pontiac 301 unit on my Falcon 200, it's pretty much the same setup, but it's from a '78 buick, I don't have the wastegate or carb plenum, so I fabricated a wastegate bypass plate, and an air intake tube to bolt to the carb plenum mounting area, and I'm running external wastegate and it's blow thru with a holley 2300 carb.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
You can find all kinds of conflicting information on the LSA for blower cams, but Blower Drive Service says to use 110* for gasoline and a little wider for alcohol. I don't know, it may be a little different with a turbo, where there is backpressure in the exhaust system.

They also have a formula for figuring CFM required with what boost and CID.
{(CID x RPM) 3456} x {Boost 14.7) + 1}
So, in the first part of the formula, if you had 300 cubic inches times 6K rpm's, that would be 300 times 6000 divided by 3456 or 520 cfm, which would be the naturally aspirated volume of air passing through the motor.
In the second part of the formula, if we were to use 16 lbs of boost divided by 14.7, that would equal 1.088. Adding 1 to that figure would yield 2.088. Multiplying 2.088 times 520 would find that at 16 psi, the motor would pass 1,085 CFM.

That would be at sea level. Use the proper atmospheric pressure in the formula for your particular altitude.
At 1,000 ft., use 14.4 instead of 14.7
At 2,000, 13.9
At 3,000, 13.4
At 4,000, 12.9
At 5,000, 12.4
Thank's for the info. I believe I saw this formula on Holley's website for their supercharger lineup. According to your figures the predator carb will work. I've never used one, but I have a friend who has. I'll ask him if he had good luck with them. Thank's again. jtyler
Old 08-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericred
I'm not going to use the 301. I'm going to use the turbo from the 301. I can buy a four barrel intake for the six cylinder and make an adapter plate. This will allow me to bolt the turbo down to my intake just like it did on the 301. The rest of it will be plumbing. I originally planned on making my own turbo header, but I saw a Banks turbo system on a 350 that made 900 horsepower. They made their own cast iron manifolds. They looked just like normal manifolds, accept they turned upward and mounted to the turbo's. The 300's factory manifold turns outward right below where the exhaust inlet is on the exhaust turbine. I can get an exhaust pipe(probably stainless) mandrel bent to curve upward and bolt right up. The one problem I have to figure out is that When the pipe expands it will push against the turbo, which is bolted to the intake. This could be a problem. I've seen flexible exhaust pipes, but I'm not sure if they will leak or not. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Have a good one. jtyler
Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Big Mec
He wants to use the turbo from the 301 on his 300 inline six. I say go for it! Turbos are awesome and it will really help that big old 300 make some midrange and higher power where they start to die out. I can't imagine turbo lag being a problem with the 300 since it's a torque monster in stock form. The bottom end will handle lots of boost, they are very well built. Just don't rev the crap out of it. They have a very long stroke and the reciprocating assembly is heavy. I would think 16psi would be too much for pump gas though. I would try with 6-8psi first and slowly work my way up. I would find a good quadrajet and rebuild it, I wouldn't waste my money on a 390cfm Holley or a Predator. A Qjet will bolt right up and work great when properly tuned. I don't think there was anything really special about the carb that came on the 301, I think any Qjet from a 305 or 350 or so would work good.
A Holley or Qjet will work, but they have to be modified. The power valve vacuum delivery passage has to be blocked. You then have to drill a whole that intersects with the delivery passage and epoxy a tube there. Then you run a vacuum line from there to the intake. This will allow the power valve to sense true vaccum conditions. The same thing has to be done to the secondary power valve, and the secondary PVCR's have to be enlarged slightly. In some cases a larger accelerator pump has to be used, because the carb is mounted farther from the intake. I looked at an old 780 Holley I had and compared it to a diagram that shows where to drill and what to modify. My carb was different, and I didn't want to try it and mess up a good carburetor. That's what made the predator look good. They say you can bolt them on without modifications. I could call Holley and order one made for my application, but it would be expensive. I'm not wanting to spend that much on this project. This is just a fun project for me. jtyler
Old 08-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
If they have an aftercooler/intercooler they are blowing through the carburetor. This is better than draw through for power, but requires more modifications. I looked at this route also. The best thing I found was one of the supercharger companies(can't remember which) makes a supercharger kit for carbureted cars. They have a sealed box that bolts to the intake. The carb mounts inside the box and the lid is bolted down. They have a throttle lever that runs through a sealed bearing that connects to the carb's throttle and to the throttle cable on the outside. The boost pressurizes the box, so the pressure on the outside of the carb is the same as what's going through it. It takes up a lot of room though. Thank's, jtyler
Old 08-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Preda...spagenameZWD1V

Also, in case you didn't know, there was a variable venturi carb called the Kendig which showed up before the Predator. I had one on the shelf for years that got thrown out during a massive house cleaning last year.

Just for grins, you might check craigslist in metro areas around you for either carb. Somebody else might have one on the shelf.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
That is Will And Kelly Mcclaren your talking about, and the car has clocked a 10.85 in the 1/4, using a classic inlines aluminum head. Will and Kelly are on www.fordsix.com and work very closely with Mike, the owner of Classic Inlines. the car used to run 280 hp at the wheels, when it ran the 11.85, now runs 323 hp with the aluminum head at the wheels, which, do the math and it's about 400 hp at the crank. it also runs a 390cfm 4bbl now, instead of the 2bbl

this is a direct link to ford six's turbo/supercharger/ efi forum, need to log in, but they there's info on turbocharging both small ( 144-250 ) and big ( 240-300 ) ford six's, Does10's ( Will Mcclaren ) has a lot of information as well as another member who did a budget setup to a 150,000 mile '82 mustang 200, Lincs200. http://fordsix.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

I'm using a simmilar turbo to the Pontiac 301 unit on my Falcon 200, it's pretty much the same setup, but it's from a '78 buick, I don't have the wastegate or carb plenum, so I fabricated a wastegate bypass plate, and an air intake tube to bolt to the carb plenum mounting area, and I'm running external wastegate and it's blow thru with a holley 2300 carb.
Thank's for the info. This is the first I've heard of these links. I'll check them out. How much trouble was it to modify the Holley 2300, and Where can I get the details on how to do it? I'm not set on a 4 barrel. The turbo will make up for the smaller cfm's of a two barrel. Of course Holley does make a 500 cfm two barrell. Also, how did you connect the exhaust to the exhaust inlet? Did you use the stock manifold with a connector pipe, or fabricate your own manifold? Thank's, jtyler

Last edited by jtyler; 08-22-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyler
I'm not going to use the 301. I'm going to use the turbo from the 301. I can buy a four barrel intake for the six cylinder and make an adapter plate. This will allow me to bolt the turbo down to my intake just like it did on the 301. The rest of it will be plumbing. I originally planned on making my own turbo header, but I saw a Banks turbo system on a 350 that made 900 horsepower. They made their own cast iron manifolds. They looked just like normal manifolds, accept they turned upward and mounted to the turbo's. The 300's factory manifold turns outward right below where the exhaust inlet is on the exhaust turbine. I can get an exhaust pipe(probably stainless) mandrel bent to curve upward and bolt right up. The one problem I have to figure out is that When the pipe expands it will push against the turbo, which is bolted to the intake. This could be a problem. I've seen flexible exhaust pipes, but I'm not sure if they will leak or not. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Have a good one. jtyler
build the J pipe, much cheaper than a custom headder/ manifold. I did this, to mount, you need to heat and flare some 2" pipe, with a hammer, slightly, but it has to be the expanded end of the pipe, then go to napa and get an exhaust flange, I had to order mine, and sorry I don't remember the number, but it is 3" bolt spacing, and I got the smallest diamater 1 available for the hole where the tubing passes thru, it's just over 2", so I got 3 long 10X1.50 studs, slid the flange up to where the 2" expanded, then installed the studs in the turbo inlet, with nuts, and pressed it over the expanded end by tightening the nuts, then when it was where it needed to be, I welded it in place ( the flange to the pipe ).
Old 08-22-2007, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyler
Thank's for the info. This is the first I've heard of these links. I'll check them out. How much trouble was it to modify the Holley 2300, and Where can I get the details on how to do it? I'm not set on a 4 barrel. The turbo will make up for the smaller cfm's of a two barrel. Of course Holley does make a 500 cfm two barrell. Also, how did you connect the exhaust to the exhaust inlet? Did you use the stock manifold with a connector pipe, or fabricate your own manifold? Thank's, jtyler
modifying the carb is easy. remove the choke and linkage, epoxy shut the hole where the choke linkage passes thru the top of the carb, I used quicksteel. remove float and install nitrophotle float, you'll need to play with the jets too, but that's just tuning. you will need to increase fuel preassure as boost comes up if you run blow through, I run a Walebro GLS393 pump and an aeromotive bypass fuel preassure regulator. as for the exhaust inlet, see above post.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.