79 454 pickup not sure where to start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 02:44 PM
welcome to the show

Wiki Edits: 0

79 454 pickup not sure where to start

hey everyone, so this is what I have going on I have a 1979 Chevy big 10 with a 454cid 4bbl a/t. its not my only car but I love driving it so much its basically my daily driver.

but anyway I want to completely redo the truck just a little at a time the interior is in great shape and it runs good im just not sure where to start.

I would like to replace the wiring and rebuild the engine ~upgrading it while I do.~
it dose need the bottom and front of the bed replaced it has rust right there in the edge at the front but thatís it as far as the body damage goes everything else is very strait I would also like to swap the front end with a 87 front I just like the 87 front end more... and I was also wanting to upgrade the rear brakes to disc brakes and change the doors to suicide doors

I know everyone has there own way and order to do things in but im just not sure what would be a good order to do things in and still be able to drive it as often as I can if I had the money to do it all at once I would lol but who has money to throw around like that these days
anyway any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 08:35 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

I would do the bodywork first so the truck would still be drivable. I would then rebuild the engine
Old 03-25-2009, 02:15 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fords
I would do the bodywork first so the truck would still be drivable. I would then rebuild the engine
This is good advice.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

Always thought I'm bassackwards. I do the mechanical/engine suspension etc. first so I don't ruin the paint/bodywork working on, installing engine etc.
A friend of mine did his body work & paint then his hoist took a crap while installing the engine.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:05 AM
welcome to the show

i was thinking alot about it last night and im kinda wanting to buy all the parts i need to swap out the front end and then do that at the same time i do the engine rebuild that way i would be able to get the motor in and out with ease.

the only problem i see with doing that is i would need to paint the engine bay at the same time or else i would have to pull the motor again....

would it be a stupid thing to paint the firewall months before the rest of the truck?...
Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman 454
i was thinking alot about it last night and im kinda wanting to buy all the parts i need to swap out the front end and then do that at the same time i do the engine rebuild that way i would be able to get the motor in and out with ease.

the only problem i see with doing that is i would need to paint the engine bay at the same time or else i would have to pull the motor again....

would it be a stupid thing to paint the firewall months before the rest of the truck?...
No, painting the engine bay/firewall etc.. ahead of time wont hurt anything.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:34 AM

Mechs first body and paint last.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 AM

I've got a few comments/suggestions on what you want to do.

Replace wiring - I wouldn't bother replacing stock wiring unless its really bad. Its a lot of work and most people don't find it very enjoyable. You can leave the stock wiring in place for the current items and add an auxiliary fuse box for new items.

Replace front clip - there are a few articles on the net that explain what has to be done. Its not real hard if you have a good donor truck, but make sure you get everything you need.

Rear disc upgrades - there are several articles on the net, and you can even buy off the shelf kits for the upgrade. The kits are usually quite a bit more expensive.

Suicide doors - I've never seen this done, but everything is possible. It will probably not be cheap.

Rust repair - you can buy original GM parts (expensive), or there several alternate sources. Even JC Whitney sells a full range of replacement body panels and parts.

Engine rebuild - lots of stuff out there on building up a 454. Just make sure you take into account the truck's weight, axle ratio, and other chassis factors. A great 454 build for a '68 Camaro will probably not be the best choice for your truck. You need more low end and mid range torque.

Bruce
Old 03-29-2009, 03:02 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
Always thought I'm bassackwards. I do the mechanical/engine suspension etc. first so I don't ruin the paint/bodywork working on, installing engine etc.
A friend of mine did his body work & paint then his hoist took a crap while installing the engine.
Yeah, you're right of course. In my mind's eye, I was seeing the rig with bodywork done, but in primer. Most of my stuff has never left primer, so that's why I saw it that way I guess.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.