79 Camaro Rebuild HELP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 11:12 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

383 Stroker build up HELP

Ok, so I have been reading alot, trying to gain some knowledge and I need some outside help. I am currently deployed, in Afghanistan and coming home in like 4 months. Anyway, my wife has a 79 camaro and refuses to let it go, so I have no choice but to invest some money into it. My plan is to get pointed in the right direction and start this project when I get home.

So my first thing, I need a new engine. It has a 305 I believe and I want to throw in a 383 Stroker. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, just never built an engine before. So here are my thoughts, Im thinking of getting an Eagle Rotating assembly (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-B13055L030). (of course Im getting a 350 block and getting all the machine work done)

1st question, this is internally balanced. Does it come ready to go in the block or does it mean all the parts are within +/- 2 grams and I still need to take to a machine shope to balance? I understand what internally balanced is, Im asking if this has already been set up on a machine and balanced.

Seond question, I was thinking of this top end kit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-K314-490-440) but I have done some research and alot of people have said this cam is really big. Is it too big for the camaro that is going to be driven around town maybe 2-3 times a week? Its not a daily driver, but I dont like to have stuff just sitting in a garage. I may take it to the strip once or twice, but we live by a 1/8 mile strip.

Third question, should I go with a set of heads and buy the rest of the parts seperatley, thus allowing a differnet cam to be purchased and allowing a differnet CR? Based on the math, I should get a 9.5CR with said kit, but I was thinking of getting 62cc heads thus making a 10.5CR. Is there a HP differnce between 72cc heads and a 9.5CR to 64CC heads and a 10.5CR?

I do have many more questions and concerns regarding this whole build up, but I just realized I may have wrote too much too soon.

Again, Im pretty new with all this engine building, thats where I need some advice. Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by olmanburns; 07-02-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 11:48 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'll take question #1, skipping the question of why an internally balanced assembly- I'm assuming you have your reasons and will leave it at that.

That assembly is balanced, no further work is required, according to Eagle.

The photo in the Summit link shows a flexplate and damper, however Eagle says on their SITE "An internally balanced kit will not include a harmonic dampener or flywheel because they are not required for balancing - use whatever brand you like."

Thanks for your service- keep an eye out for the bad guys and come home safe.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks alot brother. I noticed that picture on summit too. I am going to be using a TH350 Auto trans, so figured I would pick up a zero blance flexplate, is that correct thing to do?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmanburns
Thanks alot brother. I noticed that picture on summit too. I am going to be using a TH350 Auto trans, so figured I would pick up a zero blance flexplate, is that correct thing to do?
Absolutely- either of THESE will work- the difference is the size; the 153T is for a starter w/bolt holes straight across, or the 168 flexplate for the staggered holes. You'll probably be using a high torque mini starter, most will fit either flexplate.

The deal w/your flexplate, is it is for a one-piece rear main seal block, which usually has a counterweight on it (in OEM form, that is). In your case, you need the smaller bolt pattern flexplate BUT w/o the counterweight.

The damper will be a neutral balanced unit, as well. If you go to the page you linked to, where the assembly is shown, you can click on "Suggested Parts" for more things required.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.