Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   '79 Chev Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/79-chev-rearend-8879.html)

Desert Rodder 03-29-2002 04:08 PM

'79 Chev Rearend

I tried this topic a few weeks ago in the non-builders section. Thought I try it again in the builders section.

I have a ten bolt rearend from a G-20 van and need a few opinions on whether this "free" differential is a good choice to have narrowed? It will be used on a SBC powered roadster of as yet undetermined design. I know if I was starting without a freeby, a Ford 9" is a better choice. Do the benefits of the Ford outweigh "free?" What about axels? When you get a diff narrowed do you usually go to after market axels? At some point in the future, I will probably go to aftermaket posi of some sort. Does that appreciably effect my choice now?

Paco 03-29-2002 06:43 PM

nothing wrong with a ten bolt chevy rear, if it suits your application, you cant beat "free" for a price tag. As far as narrowing, you will probably have to go for aftermarket axles. The GM axles are larger where the splines are than the rest of the axle. If you narrow it, you have no where to have new splines cut into it, as it's too small diameter. The Ford is just the opposite, smaller on the splined end and larger on the axle shaft, lends itself to resplining better. It's all according to how "narrow" you intend to go, there are rear axles that are in the mid-50" wide range outside hub to out side hub. It may be to your advantage to find one of these and buy it rather than buy shortened axles for a narrowed "free" 10 bolt. Look at Fatmans Fabrication web page, he list a group of axles and their out side widths and what they car they come in. Might find just what you need.

Desert Rodder 03-30-2002 08:37 PM

Thanks for your help. This is the kind of info that will save me a lot of grief.

F-1Rodder 04-02-2002 03:28 PM

The real question is how you intend to use it. If you want the look and are not doing it because you are going to mount big tires for the traction, the weaker axle is fine, particularly if it is a one legger. You can get a posi into the proposed rearend, but it will put more stress on the center section and will split the stress between the two axles. But it is more an issue of how much power you make and how firmly you intend to engage it.

stovebolt 04-02-2002 04:22 PM

I used a 10 bolt truck axel in my street rod, by the time I got done shortening, getting new axels and a posi, it wound up being the same cost as buying a ford 9 set up for my car. My suggestion, sell the 10 bolt, and put the money towards a ford 9...stovebolt