Hot Rod Forum banner

79 el camino Stuck bleeder screw

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Breaknik 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a 79 el camino and the front caliper bleeder screws are rounded and impossible to get open to bleed the brakes. My question is can I hear the screw with the torch and see if that will get it loose or should I get new calipers? If I get new calipers would I have to bleed the entire system front and back brakes or just the front? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated

#2 ·
I'd try soaking them with WD-40, liquid wrench or comparable lubricant, then try to get them out with a good pair of vise grips. If that fails, I'd probably spring for new calipers, you should be fine just bleeding the front brakes after the change. They are available from $15-$50 each depending on quality. If you do manage to get the bleeder screws out they are also available for a few bucks so definitely replace those.

Kelly

#3 ·
Heat will destroy the rubber seals inside the caliper. Rebuilt calipers for these cars are extremely cheap. Don't waste your time. If you only open the front half of the system, you should only need to bleed the front half, though it won't hurt to bleed the backs (until, of course, you find a stuck bleeder screw on one of the rear cylinders).

#4 ·
Its rare that i have problems with the bleeders on almost any car. The method i have used in the past is a hot wrench (torches)
First heat till cherry red then hit with hammer (small ball peen) on the thickest part of the caliper closest to bleader. DO NOT Hit Bleeder screw.
A good pair of vice grips and you should be good to go. Be carful with torches around flex brake line it does not take much to ruin one. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.