79 ford suicide doors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

79 ford suicide doors

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, I just submitted one and it dissapeared into outer space. Has anyone done suicide doors on a 79 Ford pickup, or on another vehicle with heavily rounded sides, where you can't put the hinges on the outer parts of the body? I've been messing with hinge geometry and come up blank.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

i don't think you can just use a couple hinges with pins on the outside of the body. you'd have to put them at the farthest outside edge of the door and have them lined up plumb with each other. i suppose it would work but it would kind of look like crap. maybe you could get a hinge that goes into the door jamb at the back and has a long arm that kind of slides out of the hinge pocket. i'm at a loss how to describe this, but i think if you had a hinge with a long arm and and curve to it, it would swing the door ahead and out and you wouldn't have to worry about the door hitting the body at the hinge point. hopes this makes some sense.

JB
Old 06-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Do a search on the site..there was several threads on this as well as some projects in the journals as to how suicide doors are done..

Good luck..Me I wuld just use the stock hinges and reverse them..

OMT
Old 06-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Do a search on the site..there was several threads on this as well as some projects in the journals as to how suicide doors are done..

Good luck..Me I wuld just use the stock hinges and reverse them..

OMT
If you did that, you would have to open up the rear post so the door can go inside, not very practical. No, there are a number of threads on the subject, do a search.

Brian
Old 06-17-2005, 01:25 AM

The hinges would definitly be inside the body. I did a search and ended up at Dr. Chops site, but I couldn't get any pictures. Tech problems? I'll try again tommorrow. The problem I'm having on this truck is that the body is heavily sculpted from factory, and the points at wich I can locate the hinges are limited. The top one is Ok, I figured that one out, but I can't match the pivot point on the lower hinge, so the door will sag outhouse style. I need to figure out how to get the door to kick out farther from the body, so it will open far enough to actually use the door. Is there anything out there with hood hinge type geometry, except designed for a door. Flip front end hinges, maybe?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

Ok,if you don't mind me being frank here, nothing personal please don't beat me up on this. I have done a lot of custom mods, from top chops to body sections as well as suicide doors. Suicide doors are VERY difficult to do. You REALLY have to have a good understanding of the geometry to pull it off. There are a zillion "kits" out there to so suicide doors, DON'T BELIEVE THEM, THEY LIE! I have NEVER seen a "kit" that is any more than a couple of junk hinges and some poor instructions. If you can install one of these "kits" and have it work, you can do one from scratch and don't even need the "kit", believe me. Yes, there are "kits" for all kinds of cars for the Lambo style doors or suicide that do work well for a SPECIFIC car or truck. I do not believe there is such a beast for your 79 Ford, I may be wrong. But if the kit says uses anything like the word "Universal" and doesn't say specifically YOUR truck, RUN LIKE THE WIND. Sorry I didn't save the links to show you, but I have seen some of these so called "pro" designed kits that are absolutely DANGEROUS. These MORONS are selling a "kit" with instructions to weld the hinge right to the doors inner skin without any strengthening!!!!! RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!!

This project is over your head, spend the time on something else. You could do all kinds of custom mods with the rear tailgate, front grille and hood, etc. These mods would be seen ALL THE TIME, not JUST when you open a door. Spend your time somewhere else.

Brian
Old 06-17-2005, 11:33 PM

Brian you've made enough good points on this site that when you speak I listen, so no offence taken. I wouldn't say I'm over my head, just in a little unfamiliar territory with this body style. I've done the doors before on other cars, and your right they can be a pain in the ^*#. Turns out the guy who owns the truck was hoping to only spend a few hundred $ on the conversion, so there's little point in pursuing this one. I use kit parts to get me in the ballpark sometimes, but it's rare to leave anything unmodified. Thanks for input.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Kurt, thanks for putting up with me. I may have discussed this with you in the past but I don't always remember the names.

I looked at a 79ish Ford truck yesterday at work. I think what you would need to do is move the hinges closer together. It would put some strain on the door but with proper added support it would do the job.
Brian
Old 06-18-2005, 10:22 AM

I was stuck inside the box that says the hinges need to be farther apart. I'll keep it in mind if it comes up again.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.