79 Monte Carlo 3.3 to 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lynnwood wa
Posts: 43
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
79 Monte Carlo 3.3 to 350

Hey everyone, great site, havent seen it till i surfed around for some answers.

So, my son has a 79 Monte, that came with a 3.3 V6, we found a 350 to build and put in it.

The 79 did come with a 305 as a option motor. Are the engine mount brackets the same on the V6 as the 305/350 or will i have issues with the mounting of the 350?

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: canada
Posts: 564
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the mounts themselves are not the same, however the V8 mount holes should be on the frame, so it should be a matter of bolting up the new mounts.
montes didn't have 3.3L V6s back then. they had 3.8L and they were crappy engines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lynnwood wa
Posts: 43
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by va4cqd
the mounts themselves are not the same, however the V8 mount holes should be on the frame, so it should be a matter of bolting up the new mounts.
montes didn't have 3.3L V6s back then. they had 3.8L and they were crappy engines
Thanks VA, i was looking at the diagram, and the car, looks like it has brackets on the bottom of the crossmember, then the mounts on top, i see the V8 mount holes on the fram too.

Do i move the brackets too, or are there blind nuts in the cross member the bolts screw into?

LOL, everyone says there were no 3.3's, but my emmision sticker on the radiator support shows a 3.3,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: canada
Posts: 564
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the frame mount rubber part bolts to the frame. need the v8 style. no blind nuts under the crossmember. you'll have to use bolts.

i forgot 78 and 79 had an option for a 200 ci V6 which works out to 3.3L. made about 95 hp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lynnwood wa
Posts: 43
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by va4cqd
i forgot 78 and 79 had an option for a 200 ci V6 which works out to 3.3L. made about 95 hp
yeah, the red headed step child motor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp23g7
yeah, the red headed step child motor
You got that right. I didn't know the 200 V6 was put in the Monte in '79- a lot of them had the lowly 267, the 200 is 3/4 of the 267 so RHSC is being kind! lol

But the wiring and plumbing will all be a breeze, the radiator might well cool a V8, but you will definitely want to use a V8 shroud and thermostatic fan clutch.

Some good news is the 200/229 V6 engines used a slightly underdriven pulley set-up as compared to the LWP V8. As long as the cooling system is up to par, this is a nice addition that I've used on SBC V8's through the years. The pulley sets (and those V6 engines they come on) are scarce nowadays, though. Makes me wish I'd have stocked up while they were plentiful.

The tranny may be a TH350, IIRC the TH350C (w/TCC) didn't start until 1980. This will make things easier if you want to change torque converters sometime in the future. Hopefully it's not a TH200 (28-1/4" long).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lynnwood wa
Posts: 43
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
You got that right. I didn't know the 200 V6 was put in the Monte in '79- a lot of them had the lowly 267, the 200 is 3/4 of the 267 so RHSC is being kind! lol

But the wiring and plumbing will all be a breeze, the radiator might well cool a V8, but you will definitely want to use a V8 shroud and thermostatic fan clutch.

Some good news is the 200/229 V6 engines used a slightly underdriven pulley set-up as compared to the LWP V8. As long as the cooling system is up to par, this is a nice addition that I've used on SBC V8's through the years. The pulley sets (and those V6 engines they come on) are scarce nowadays, though. Makes me wish I'd have stocked up while they were plentiful.

The tranny may be a TH350, IIRC the TH350C (w/TCC) didn't start until 1980. This will make things easier if you want to change torque converters sometime in the future. Hopefully it's not a TH200 (28-1/4" long).
Good info Cobalt, i will check the pullys and the Transmission
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
87 monte carlo v-6 to 350 swap? K-1 Engine 2 09-30-2008 03:40 PM
87 Monte Carlo wiring in a 76 350 mightycarlo10 Electrical 9 03-27-2008 11:09 PM
'06 Monte Carlo schnitz Hotrodders' Lounge 31 01-15-2005 11:38 PM
Bring Back the RWD V8 Monte Carlo!! Fragzem Hotrodders' Lounge 18 10-16-2004 11:35 PM
four speed for 79 monte carlo NAIRB Transmission - Rearend 2 09-15-2002 07:52 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.