Hot Rod Forum banner

79 mustang 5.0 GT .. what trans do I have?

830 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  AceRacing 79 mustang 
#1 · (Edited)
I am working on a mustang I took in on a trade and I just got it running last weekend for the first time and took it up the street to test it out it has a auto trans that some one put in it. it was a stick before how do I figure out what trans it is? also I am new to auto's so I am kinda lost it idles at 1000rpm and I put it in gear it is ready to go but when I shift it in to second if I am on the gas it grabs and goes but if I let it idle down it seams to be in neutral unless I rev it to about 3500rpm the it grabs so I thought it was low on trans fluid and check it and it is full?? any one out there know what might be going on or is it a stall converter? :confused: also how do I figure out what rear end gears I have in it? it has some tall tire's on it mickey thompson et street's 26/11.5/15

#4 ·
i can't answer your question but you should ask the previous owner if he put a 3,500rpm stall converter in it. if so, you should probably change that to something more streetable. take a pic of the trans and see if you can match it with some internet pics of mustang transmissions. oh and see if it has a tag on it anywhere.... tons of info out there....

#6 ·
thank's guy's I will take a pic of it and look for a part number. I would ask the guy I got it from but he was kill on the crotch rocket I traded him for the mustang so I am out of luck with asking him about the car. is there any Way to tell what stall converter it has buy looking at it? it is a small in size like 10 to 12 inchesa cross the face with tabs about 2 inches to bolt it up with? a friend looked at it and told me that the smaller they at the higher the stall is that true?

#9 ·
u guy's rock thank's for the tip's I have a few pic's of the mustang I got from my friend on here that I am building and the one I drive as a daily driver also but I will git out a tape and see if I can git a measure ment off it now that I have the trans in lol but I dont have a inspection plate so I might be able to do it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.