Hot Rod Forum banner

79 Ranchero Key stopped turning ignition steering lock!

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
Stopped and filled up at the gas pumps. When I got in to leave the key would not work. I called home for another key.. Won't work.. Stuck at the pumps can't move it or sterr it. Had a roll back bring it home. Lock smith wants minimum $150.00 to come out to the country and fix it.

Can I just drive a screwdriver into the key lock so I can drive it to the shop?????? You know like on gone in 60 seconds. Luck has it 90% of my tools were stolen 2 weeks ago so I have nothing to fix it with.

Thanks in advance...
Smitty

Have you caught a crappie lately? :thumbup:

#2 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

Try rocking the shift linkage forth and back while turning the key..It may just be jammed between the two and stuck mid travel..

Using the screwdriver will certainly work, with 3 possible drawbacks...

1) you may damage more than you bargained for in the process..

2) The broken lock may jam the steering while your driving it home..

3) You just might get a code 3 stop at gun point by the local PD until you can prove you didn't liberate the car ... (that's the first thing they look at when they pull next to you..Tumbler in place?)

Doc :pimp:

#3 ·
Thanks Docvette>I don't want to damage more and I sure don't want the wheel locking up while taking a curve at 65 mph in traffic! The locksmith tells me if the key will not turn backwards that I can't get the lock out. He said it has to be drilled. Does he mean drilling into the keyhole?? He wouldn't say..he wants my cash:(
Will drilling in the keyhole work???? Guess I could pay the rollback to take it to the shop but I'm low on the money as usual.

#4 ·

Yeah, he means drilling the tumblers out..and replacing the tumbler barrel with a new one or a "keyed alike " one..(to match the original key..costs more)

If you have AAA road insurance, It covers that free...just a thought..

#6 ·
Crappie/Smitty said:
Thanks Doc

I drilled it out of there. I had to. After I got the wheel off the pin wouldn't release it so I just drilled until it came out using bigger and bigger bits. Took me 2 hours to do a 20 minute job.

Well, at least ya got it home! :thumbup:

Now the task at hand will be to replace the ignition..lest it end up on the PD's hot list one of these days...(thugs like it when they don't have to work at GTA..) :drunk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.