79 RX-7 LS 5.3 Turbo Build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

79 RX-7 LS 5.3 Turbo Build

79 rx7 back halfed. Shoudl be around 2400lbs when complete.
Alum Dash.
Currie 9 inch with 35 spine moser axles and spool
Competition engineering ladder bars and wheelie bars
Roll cage
29x12 Slicks
Kerkie racing
1/2" SS fuel system
12 Gallon Fuel cell
Magnafuel prostar 725 pump
2001 5.3 LS motor.
6.0 #317 Casting heads (mildy hand ported)
LS9 MLS Head gaskets
Zr1 LS9 cam
S400Sx3 75mm Turbo 1.10 AR T4 housing.
AEM EMS fuel management
120lb injectors
PowerGlide 1.76
PTC 9.5 converter

Fabbed up Eng mounts.

Cut up and welded the 98 F-body stamped steel manifolds. Used a mig and tri-gas. Actually welded nice.

Quick and dirty hotside with junky “T” merge.

WG dump tube finished.

Cleaned things up a bit. 2 pistons were damaged. I replaced them with used piston/rod assys. Regapped all the rings for boost. Threw the ZR1 cam in. ($90 cam from GM!) All the roller lifters looked good, gonna run them "as is" too. Got the new LS3 style cam gear with pick up installed. Going to run a LS3 style timing cover with cam pick up on the front.

Hatch backs and fuel cells are a pain! No room under the cell, so I had to make a fire box.

Long block done.

LS2 Timing cover w FWD cam pick-up is done.
ARP stud kit and LS9 7 layer MLS Hg's are all in and torqued.
Turbo oil supply done and drain done.

IC mounted cleaned up Engine bay

Random inter-cooler shot. (31x12x4)

Final Pin.

elded up a little angle iron mount for the battery and test fit the hood. Plenty of clearance. also wired up the alternator charge cable (2g) and ground wire. Got the upper and lower radiator hoses, steam vent, throttle cable, and IAT sensor done. Went with the cheapo "golden rod" fuel filter again. Installed and finished up the fuel return. Fuel plumbing is done. Most of the engine wiring is complete.

Finishing up the wiring now…

Advertisement

Last edited by ForceFed86; 03-03-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 10:32 AM

Last photo:

That sucker is going to be a hand full!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

Honestly I'm a bit frightened of it! Should hit around 150 mph in the 1/4... assuming I don't hit a wall first!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:37 PM

Last journal entry: mock up
Last photo:

Cool stuff!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

It fired right up... still waiting on some nice streetable 3.10 gears to come in. Trans was leaking right out of the pump, and rear main seal was leaking. SO it's all apart again, trans back to the "builder". Replaced the rear main this weekend and fired it up. At least that's fixed.

Also wired up the brake lights/pedal. Turn signals are next. Working on fabbing up some headlights to stick in the the front bumper as well.

It's getting close!

Made a sweet "DIY rig" to test/clean the injectors. Then used the same deal to pre-lube the engine.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

Getting close.... Got to drive it around the neighborhood this weekend. Played with the trans brake a bit in the driveway and made a little boost for the first time as well!

MVI_0681 - YouTube
http://youtu.be/uukGWUnQOWw
Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 AM

This thing is sweet. How do you like working with that AEM fuel management? Is it more straight forward to use than dealing with a stock ECU and HP Tuners?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRollinLS View Post
This thing is sweet. How do you like working with that AEM fuel management? Is it more straight forward to use than dealing with a stock ECU and HP Tuners?
Thanks. I learned the EMS software many years ago on another project so it was easy for me. I’ve never worked with HPtuners so I really couldn’t say.

The AEM is pretty straight forward, but you’ll need to spend some serious time with the manual if you’ve never worked with it. It has a lot of added functions that HP tuners does not. Multiple WB02 & EGT inputs, nitrous control, boost control, antilag, 2 step, and many other inputs. I picked up this plug-and-play EMS for $600. So it was cheaper than HPtuners and I already knew how to tune with the software. It also plugged into the stock harness just like HPtuners and the stock ECM.

There is a company making a Megasquirt plug and play ECU with the harness and trans control now for about $700 . That’s the route I’d go if I were buying new.

Made a little more progress. Hope to have this thing on the road by early June

3.10 polished and lightened “nascar” gears installed. ($130)

Ended up with this Derale dual core trans cooler. 10x14.5. ($72 shipped) Tack welded an old grand national intercooler fan I had to it and mounted it in the back.

Turbo blanket and oil line shielding

Finished up the “sleeper” exhaust system. 4” down pipe mated to a tiny 2.5” glass pack I had laying around the shop. Then I mounted a 60mm wastegate to the 4” downpipe to act as an exhaust cutout. I cut the spring in the wastegate down and heated it with a torch until it took very minor pressure to open. Around 3psi the gate starts to open, fully open by 5ish psi. Cruise and idle are very quiet for a “Race car”.

Heres the finished product.

Wrapped

Video of the WG actuating with some shop air.

Hard to see but the evac kit is pulling vac at idle.

MVI_0683_zps195b19db.mp4 Video by Hybridgnx | Photobucket

Installed some $50 ebay coil overs to raise the front end a couple inches. While I was playing with the suspension I figure I should upgrade the brakes. Ordered a set of drilled and slotted rotors with some HAWK HPS pads.

Wrapped the dump tube and brake lines.

Wet sanded and buffed the lexan windshield for a good 15-20 hours. Started with 400grit worked up to 1200, then buffed…forever! NEVER doing that again. Looking for a glass windshield replacement for the future. Also replaced the door lexan windows with glass. Installed some used window cranks and new handles with door covers. Rearview mirror, turn signals and brake lights all installed as well.

Managed to fit a stock hood on it. Spent a good 10-12 hours filling/sanding and getting it ready for paint. I hung it up on some chain and the S hook I used broke and dropped the hood right on the corner and destroyed it. Can’t find another stock hood within 200 miles of KS. So I’m going back to the goofy looking 6” cowl for now. What a waste of a weekend! I thought it looked much better though.

Head light construction is coming along.

I’ll install some tinted lexan on the back side of the bumper and the “pods” will press up tightly against it from the back. Each light uses a 55w H3 bulb. I’ll have the bottom as a low beam and the top as hi-beams, hope this will be good enough to pass the out of state inspection. A standard h4 headlight bulb is 100w, so I’m hoping 2 of these will be bright enough for night driving. I’m sure I’ll end up running all 4 of them at night.

Bar napkin sketch…

Rough cut in bumper.

Semi-complete pod.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

CF Hood finally came in. Got rid of the hood pins and installed a factory latch.

Just need to borrow some street legal tires so I can go try to tag this thing...

Made another HVAC cold air intake too. I found you can pull the segments apart and add to them for one longer seamless piece. This also let me eliminate the “crinkled” end pieces. There’s even a rolled bead on the end for your couplers.

This one is hidden in the fender so I didn’t spend any time sanding it or trying to make it look pretty.

If you want it to look more professional you could try just enforcing the ends with glass/resin. Then dipping the whole assy in polyurethane. I think that would turn out slick.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

Last minute run out the track was a little disappointing. The car did go straight and made it home under it's own power so it was a good maiden voyage over all. I was unaware there was a huge event going on the following day so I only got 2 runs in.

First run at 8lbs. Was a 11.2 @ 125. Lazy Foot brake launch on my friends 275 60 drag radials got me a 1.7 60'. The car bogged all of mid track to the point it almost felt like a throttle stop. Then picked up on the last half. (due to 12* of timing in the peak torque rpm ranges and rich AFR)

Plugs looked good so I Leaned it out a and upped the boost to 12 psi. Set up on the t-brake and blew a coupler right at the starting line.

Come to find out the BOV spring was to tight and not releasing the pressure. Since I have put a lighter spring in and it is working. Drove the car way out of the city and got about 10 test runs today on the street. The AFR's dialed in where I want them and at 12 psi and 18* of timing. It's a freeking beast! Can't wait to get it to the track again!

Also swapped in a slightly larger airfilter. Still too small, but I feel better about it.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

Went 9.83 @ 143 last night. 17lbs 16* of timing.

On the 9.83 run I shifted into Hi gear at 5500rpm, logs show I let off at 5400rpm going through the traps. 5lb launch on the t-brake. Pretty wussy 60'. Lots of room for improvement there! I think it will take a few more lbs of boost as well. Little more aggressive timing curve and some more RPM may not be a bad idea either. Drove it to and from the track.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 AM

Last journal entry: electric fans
Last photo:

Very nice! Love the car too!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:57 PM

Last photo:

Make that 9.66 @ 144.6. ; ) Only got 3 passes in tonight. 60' is still laughable. Should be 9.30's once the launch is dialed in.

It's so quiet it almost sounds like the dump isn't opening.

Last edited by ForceFed86; 07-13-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

Getting faster! 9.4 @ 147! 18lbs barely creeping to 20 in high gear.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

9.44 @ 148 20lbs... Thats the wastegate spring limit. Gunning for 150 trap at 25psi. Cooler weather would help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.