'79 seville Rear end Posi??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2004, 12:48 PM

Last journal entry: 1st day out!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

'79 seville Rear end Posi???

Wassup guys? Okay, more on the 1980 malibu project. I just put it in the shop for a mild restoration. Maybe you all can help with some price averages? Stock 4door malibu with a nice 350cid and th400 w/ shift kit and I believe 3000 stall on the TC. Starting with the rear end...
What gears do I currently have in the rear? I'm guessing, 2.76 or so? Single peg leg? Ugghhh. So I have acquired a rear end from a 79 seville, anyone know the spec? The seller told me limited-slip posi with 3.42 gears? Shop called me today and said the axle I brought him was "locked up", so I'm deciding NOT to keep the disk brakes (would've been nice to have them all the way around) as I don't wanna get too expensive in this process. Based on this change alone, what type of improvement/ differences would I nootice?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2004, 01:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Re: '79 seville Rear end Posi???

Quote:
Originally posted by MrChevyDC3
Starting with the rear end...
What gears do I currently have in the rear? I'm guessing, 2.76 or so? Single peg leg?
[color=yellow]You could have all the way down to 2.29's in there, and none of those Malibu's came with more than 3.08 stock, if you could provide the stamped axle housing code I can tell you exactly what it came with from the factory.[/color]
Ugghhh. So I have acquired a rear end from a 79 seville, anyone know the spec?
[color=yellow]Most likely an 8.5 inch 10-bolt.[/color]
The seller told me limited-slip posi with 3.42 gears?
[color=yellow]Hopefully you opened it up to verify what you bought, "buyer beware"[/color]
Shop called me today and said the axle I brought him was "locked up", so I'm deciding NOT to keep the disk brakes (would've been nice to have them all the way around) as I don't wanna get too expensive in this process.
[color=yellow]Exactly why aren't you going to keep the rear discs?
I would definitely reconsider that decision but also consider putting a proportioning valve from one of those 4 wheel disc brake cars on there.[/color]
Based on this change alone, what type of improvement/ differences would I notice?
You will definitely like the limited slip, and the 3.42 gears are a pretty good choice given the rest of the drivetrain you described.
I just re-read the thread, and would like to also add, the axle from the Seville will be wider than the one out of the Malibu, (a "B" body I believe), and you will have problems getting that to line up well enough to install without more headaches and problems you may want.
You will also have to look at wheels with much more rear offset than the ones you currently have, as the axle flange-to-flange measurement will be more than the "G" body axle you are removing.

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 12-22-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

Okay... So, most of the problems that I would incur with this swap would be in the fittings of the actual axle?? So, that plus him telling me that the disk brakes are "locked up" would lead me even more to believe to only use the gearings and differential? Maybe? I would elect to put the whole axle in, but my main focus was getting my malibaby Positive traction, and getting numerically higher gears back there. Disk brakes was just an added convenience with swapping the whole axle. The shopman told me the axle, in good working condition, is worth about 12 hun.. But he said if I just use the guts and let his shop keep the axle, he'll knock $300 off the price? He said a rear-end job up there is $350.00. So that means I'll only be paying fifty bucks? BTW, I got the axle from a trusted neighbor who says everything should work. It was sitting outside for two winters though

Oh yeah, the shopman told me the seville axle was a 12bolt ...
Old 12-22-2004, 06:09 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

First MEASURE the axles you have, original and Seville. If there is only an inch or two difference check your wheel clearance. The difference is split on each side, you may have room to move your tires out an inch with no problems. If you can't, get deepre offset wheels. You might be limited on wheel choice though -- most wheel manufacturers use a specific backset depending on wheel width, and the "custom backset" is just an alternate, not really a custom. There is only one wheel you can get with just about any backset you want -- Weld DragLites. I used them (5" backset on 7" wheels) to run a Jag rear axle without narrowing in my Rambler. They aren't expensive (under $100 a wheel at Jeg's for the 7") and are very light weight. You'll probably have to do some cutting and welding to match the mounting brackets on the axles.

I'd keep the disc brakes. Rebuilt calipers can be a little on the expensive side, but will be worth it in the long run. Shouldn't be over $100 each, I'd think less with a core to swap. You can't put drums on the disc axle anyway, the ends of the tubes are different.

You just said the axle is locked up before. So it's definitely the calipers and not the limited slip diff that's locked?
Old 12-23-2004, 03:54 PM

Last photo:

FArna...
HOpefully... the guy who sold me the axle promises it isn't locked up (as far as the differential) He's a pretty trustworthy guy. I told him that the Shopman said it would be more expensive to do a whole axle swap becuase of the way the 'Ville's axle was cut, and he said something about the need to fab some brackets to attach it to the Malli. But the seville was riding around town just prior to them dropping the axle. Can sitting out in the weather freeze up a differential within an axle? The seller, "Scott", said it would be worth keeping the whole axle and gettin new calipers and offset wheels and the like. Scott said the shopman may just wanna keep my axle? That's why he's offering me $300 off the instal price?? I have the latest Jeg's and summit, so I'll look into those wheels you spoke of.
And what's the difference with the Ville's 12 bolt and my ten bolt? If I only use the internals, will my 10 then be as strong as a 12? I appreciate all you guys help, and I have a heap of questions to ask after we finish with the rear end, so be ready!!
Old 12-23-2004, 05:52 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I'm no expert on 79 Sevilles and if the guts will or will not swap with the Chevelle, but my experience with Cadis ( I have owned 4 of them) says it will not work. Cadis generally have bigger bearings, axles, spindels, rotors, calipers etc than other GM products. Also, the rotors and calipers are not really that expensive. We just replaced the front rotors on his 89 Fleetwood for $28 each and the calipers were atound $20 each. Because of the rear emergency brake integration in the caliper, the rears are more expensive. My Buds Fleetwood has a posi unit and I think it is 3.40 gear. It is a Drum brake set up, though and it has a screwed up wheel bearing set up in that it has a ball bearing and the axle has a hardened surface that serves as the race. Never thought I would see something like this in a Cadi!!

Trees
Old 12-23-2004, 11:45 PM

Last photo:

The '79 Seville was basically a stretched Nova, & uses an 8.5" rear end with disc brakes & leaf spring bracketry. The '80 Malibu was available only with the 7.5" rear end with trailing arms and coil springs. It would take some serious fabrication to make the Seville rear end fit the Malibu.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:08 AM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

edit:
nevermind. Jim beat me to it.

Save the caliper brackets.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:18 PM

Cadi rear

I have a couple of those Caddy rears laying around. I got them for the disc. brake parts to use on my 65 Chevy2 rear. The mechanic that told you it was a 12 bolt I believe is wrong ;cant he see it has 10 bolts on the back cover? and is a 8.5 rear with square looking tips on the bottom of housing. I didnt realize they put 342 gears in Caddys ; kind of steep for a luxuary cruiser but I guess it must have been something someone orderd . I measured mine and it is very similar to the 70s early 80s Trans -Ams , Camarros except THe Caddy has 5on 5 inch bolt pattern.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:26 AM

Last photo:

'MOrning...
Well, it's sounding like it's gonna be much cheaper and easier to use only the internals of the 'ville's rear end. I'm going up to the shop wed morning and I'm gonna try to get some digital pics of both rear ends. I wanna make sure of the size of it (ten or 12 bolt) b/c Musky has me guessing now "scott" once again said it was a 12. The shopman said something about having to fabricate a emergency brake and brackets and different wheels and new lines and porportioning valves- all in the name of using the ville's axle for disc setup. Hey, my drums on the Malli weren't THAT bad. I think I'll stick with them. I hope to have pics 4 u shortly~
Old 12-28-2004, 10:11 PM

Caddy rear

The Caddy disc brakes should bolt on the Malibu rear end ; whether 10 bolt or 12 bolt. The Caddy rear has 5 inch bolt pattern like a Chevy truck or most big cars old LTDs Caprices etc. : Malibu has 4 and 3 quarter bolt pattern. You probably have a 8.5 Caddy rear as they didnt make 12 bolts very many years mostly in yhe late 60s early 70s. 8.5 is plenty strong ; some say as good as a 12 bolt plus the parts are easy to get.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.