Hot Rod Forum banner

79 silverado problems with power windows/locks

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  vicrod 
#1 ·
ok its long i know but please read and help me out thnx, so i have doors on a 74 c10 that have power windows/locks but are not wired up but the c10 didnt have power windows so no wirring is there but i have the wirring harness i got from the parts truck that had the power doors on it, but i dont know one thing about electrical so im wondering how do u hook this up?

on the wirring harness there is 2 wires that went to the fuse box and there was a green wire that went through the firewall ran along the fire wall into a bunch of other wires and thoes bunch of wires then ran down the fire wall and under the truck but i cant see where it goes becuz the truck fell in half the frame was so rotten so i can get under it and see where that green wire went so i cut it off as far as i could get,

there was a box that some wires went to witch is on there harness still and a weird switch that was positioned under the gas pedel shaft up under the dash , when you would push the pedel the shaft the gas pedel is on would move this plastic stud witch had a sping back movtion to it so i guess the more the engine reved the more power to the windows? idk but that switch is on the harness to,

so now where would i hook these 2 wires that went to the fuse box too? its a 74 c10 so the fueses are all diffrent and i dont know **** about that stuff and where would i hook this green wire too? im guessing the green might be the power? idk is there some way i could just hook all this straight to my battery? cuz idk what wire harness fuse wires go where in the 74 c10 fuse box or anything, so any help would be great thnx

See less See more
#2 ·
My suggestion.........

You are going to need a multi meter, remove the window motors and door lock actuators from the doors and lay them out on the floor. The two systems should be seperate circuits......

RH UP - DK BLU/WHT
LH UP - DK BLU
Power - PINK
RH DWN - BRN
LH DWN - TAN

The window motors are DC and should have two wires coming from them.....as an example ...... let's say Blue and black (prob a different color). If you take a battery and put +12 volts on the blue wire and neg on the black wire, then the window motor spins clockwise and the windows goes up. If you put +12 volts on the black wire and neg on the blue wire then the motor spins counter-clockwise and the window goes down etc.........

Lock /Unlock is basicly the same two wires + on one neg on the other lock, reverse them unlock etc. I don’t have any info on the wire colors for the locks

If you have a battery charger use that for your testing power supply...... that way if you guess wrong and touch the wrong wire the circuit breaker in the charger will pop long before you fry a motor etc....

#3 ·
basics

The best way to approach this is to understand the circuit and switching in it's most basic form.
The attached schematic diagram is an example of controlling DC motors, in this case power windows and door lock actuators..
Referring to the diagram notice that both the UP and DOWN switches, in their normal positions are connected the negative - wire.
When the UP switch is activated to the positive + wire and the DOWN switch remains connected to the negative -, the motor now has a complete circuit and will operate in one direction.
Before you rewire or install anything you need to test the windows and controls to make sure they work. Even if everything works ok you may not be able to get replacement parts if something fails later.
A black wire is normally used for the ground and some color for the hot. These (2) wires will power the control switches. After the control switches, hopefully the existing harness is in usable condition.

vicrod

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.