Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 79 TA: hazard, right turn signal, brake signal out
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 08:34 AM

Last journal entry: 1930u I will update soon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladis
All signals and lights work for the front, left brake light, and sometimes rear left turn signal works. All rear lights come on with main lights. The almighty brown wire to the rear of the vehicle is good. The dark green and yellow are having problems, to rule out the back part of the vehicle I disconnected them in the trunk at a switch thingy and tested them with a voltometer thingy. The brown one was good, which matched the fact that the lights were on. The yellow left turn/brake light showed only a few volts. The dark green (right turn signal, brake signal) showed nothing. I traced the wire through the car, they are encased in a stout plastic tube all the way to the front. Also all fuses are good, none are blown.
Here's the big deal, I didn't quite see where the tube went but it looks like it goes from the fuse box to the steering wheel colum, where's that that thing that decides what blinks when thingy. I recently had a guy who specializes in the electric side of cars fix this, because it was starting to go. I'm thinking he messed it up(it worked correctly right after I got it back from him, who knows when it went bad), and before I get all enraged at this guy is there anything else I can check or am I on the right track to finding the error in my wiring?
For the most part the electrical system on the 70's Firebirds is pretty sound. One simple thing that will really mess things up is faulty chassis and body grounds. There are several ground points where a sheet metal screw or bolt is passing through a ring terminal attaching to the body/firewall/fenders/core support and trunk floor. Take a look around and check them. Even if their tight they can loose continuity from rust and corrosion.

Firebirds were also leak prone T-tops or not and sometimes the water finds it way into wire harnesses or the plastic conduits again causing problems.
Good luck