79 Trans am, to shake or not to shake - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 12:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

79 Trans am, to shake or not to shake

so I rednecked my current hood by screwing in the half broken shaker to the hood with deck screws. What a retard. Anyway, after i minimize the holes I put in (some sort of ghetto rigging involving bondo brand stuff) and rub all the black caulk off, I am left with a hole in my hood once again. Do I buy a shaker or do I put on say a cowl, or an L88 or something else. What would look cool.

A. Original shaker, can it be mated with a chevy 350 and edelbrock performer?
I've got a black air cleaner that appears to be the original.

B. L88 4 or 6"
L88 and Cowl, I'd get to use my super cool tall chrome air cleaner
C. Cowl 4 or 6"

Also I like to make little electronic doors for the shaker if I do get one. Like a switch inside. Like one of those red air force ones, with a warning light or something. It'd be really gimmicky and cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 06:21 AM

Last photo:

shaker

I had a 79 TA that I put a dual quad 455" Olds in, and I used ELEVATOR bolts and body panel like glue to glue the bolts to underside of hood, and installed original hood scoop, as the 455" is a taller block and the SHAKER would not work. The glue used was NOT regular EXPENSIVE made for body shops panel glue, but was a 2 part epoxy that I bought at the hardware store, and it worked VERY well.. but you must remove the paint and clean METAL well before gluing, and rough up the face of the bolts. also I used 1/4 inch rubber insulators between the hood and scoop, and opened the back of hood scoop for fresh air. Cheep and easy.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

To be honest with you, if you attached the shaker that way and you're planning to fix the damage like that, I can imagine what you'd do in molding a cowl onto the hood. Ever think of having a professional work on it?
Old 02-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:

shake it up. im no trans am expert but im sure with a little ingenuity you can hook all the parts together and have it look nice. thats what hot rodding is about, not buying and installing kits you know will work or else you just send them back. take your time do it right and not only will it look cool but you'll have this overwhelming sense of accomplishment after wards. i like to call it the holy crap i did it feeling.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:30 AM

Last photo:

Shaker

My car was 403-powered originally, so to make the shaker work on a Pontiac I had to redrill different holes in the metal shaker base (the flat part that sits on the air filter housing). Shakers came on Chevy engines, too, so you can make yours work as well. I cut out the shaker opening to let fresh air in and don't worry about any flapper. If I lived where the climate was really cold and icy I'd just cover the opening with some kind of fitted scoop cover. Sounds like you're going to learn by making mistakes, so use a little forethought and carry on. You can always buy another metal or 'glass hood if you goof so don't be paralyzed with fear. We've all been there.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Ahhhhhhhh Shaker hood Scoop....... (in my best Homer Simpson or Bevus voice take your pick) I would do ANYTHING to make the shaker hood scoop work. In my opinion, they WERE what made it a Trans Am.

Brian
Old 02-17-2007, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

MartinSR is right - if you don't put the shaker on you might as well leave the Bird decal off too, neuter it, and call it a C-A-M-A-R-O. In the second gen cars the TA's were so much more desirable than their Camaro counterparts, especially in the 74-81 years (IMO). WS6 handling packages, SD motors in 73/74, 400 cube Pontiac motors...Of course soem might call me biased...since I have owned 3 Birds in my lifetime (although oddly enough never a 2nd gen - had an 82, a 95, and now a 67...guess I'm due for a second gen!)
Old 02-17-2007, 04:42 PM

Last photo:

okay, so I am going to make the shaker work. It's TA and it should have a shaker. Cowl's are for Camaros and L88's for corvettes. The flapper thing for the shaker is just too cool not to do also.

http://www.netn2it.com/10th-ta/scoop.htm

of course I'm going to do it myself too, local hobby shop should have what I need to do it. I'll also have the holy crap feeling, which is priceless.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

I just went through the same thing on a 79 Transam, the aftermarket alluminum intake and holley 750 on the 403 really screwed up the fit of the original shaker hood scoop. I looked at modifying the aircleaner assembly and scoop to get the right height but in the end I modified the upper portion of the scoop to bolt to the bottom side of the hood. I made some sheetmetal strips to fit the contour of the perimeter of the scoop opening, installed studs and glued the strips to the bottomside of the hood with panel adhesive. The scoop assembly got sectioned and drilled and bolted up from the bottomside. It looks just fine but the shake sure is missing. It did stiffen up the flimsey hood though and provide plenty of clearance. Also make a drain for the trough area of the scoop and use a gasket between the scoop and the hood so the paint doesn't wear off the sheetmetal edge and dig into the scoop-closed cell universal weatherstriping works fine.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:50 PM
See project in Photo Album

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab
WS6 handling packages...
Ah, I think the WS6 option made that car great. I had a 72 Z28 just after high school, and the car ran hard, but my buddy's 79 TA killed my car in the corners and was way more fun to drive. I have had a soft spot for the 79 TA since.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.