'79 Trans Am subframe to a '56 Chevy Pickup? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 07:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

'79 Trans Am subframe to a '56 Chevy Pickup?

Hello
Has anyone had experience and/or info for using a '79 Trans AM subframe on a '56 Chevy pickup. I understand that the earlier Firebird and Camaro were virtually identical. But does this hold true for the later models, like the '79? Have not bought subframe yet. I wanted to see if I was in for a hassle, or if it would be like the later model Camaro too. I would appreciate any advice.
thank you

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary47speed
Hello
Has anyone had experience and/or info for using a '79 Trans AM subframe on a '56 Chevy pickup. I understand that the earlier Firebird and Camaro were virtually identical. But does this hold true for the later models, like the '79? Have not bought subframe yet. I wanted to see if I was in for a hassle, or if it would be like the later model Camaro too. I would appreciate any advice.
thank you
I did several last year.I did a 58 Chevy with a Nova with the rear steer.It worked out great.I use a lot of the 79 - 80 camaro's,The Nova is about 1.5'' narrower then the Camaro hub to hub.Here's a picture of the 58 Chevy truck,And my 57 Chevy car I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3835.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	36474   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0282.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	36475   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0919.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	36476  
Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 PM

'79 trans am subframe to '56 chevy p/u

Thank you for your response. So, you see no problem with the '79 Trans Am subframe, just like doing the Camaro? Your frame work looks great! Thank you!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

It just put's the wheels out alittle.Like I said,the Nova is even better.If it was me,I would try to go with the Nova.. And the Monte Carlo Is even narrower then the Nova.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:10 AM

'79 Trans am subframe to '56 chevy p/u

I appreciate your feedback...
from the looks of your frames you have perfected the procedure. I will check and see if my source has a Nova or a Monte Carlo rather than the Trans Am I know he has some Camaros. He is honest, close, reasonably priced and will deliver no extra charge. That was part of the motive of going with the Trans Am. But if it is going to be a disadvantage then I should rethink this.
Thank you and regards
Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 PM

Last journal entry: 1955 Chevy Truck
Last photo:

I am in the middle of a Monte Carlo clip, and it has worked out great. The best thing about the Monte G-body clip is that you have plenty of room to lower the front end, and still have all of the steering radius without rubbing the fender lips. The Monte track width is 58" and works great under the truck, especially if you want the front end lowered. I welded the front end up at ride height without dropped spindles, so I still have the factory ride without the expense of dropped spindles and too wide of track. I got alot of help with another guy on the forum that is doing the same thing. You can read our posts titled "55-59 truck with G-body Clip" on the same forum category. Good luck on your choice.
http://www.my.opera.com/Oleblue55/albums/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	36520   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3977.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	36521  

Last edited by fasteddy51; 02-23-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 PM

Hello
Thanks for your info, sounds like the G-body is the best choice. I really like the look of your truck, gonna be sweet when you get it done, nice stance.
I appreciate your help, it helps to get feedback from experience.
Regards
Old 02-24-2009, 06:58 AM

Last journal entry: 1955 Chevy Truck
Last photo:

It has worked out well for me. I guess it's just what you have available and the finished ride height you want. The G-body stuff around here is alot less expensive and by far more available than the F-body and Nova clips. I just didn't want to spend alot on custom wheel offsets for the front. The narrower track allows the front suspension and turning radius full travel without any issues. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. This is my first truck project, and I am really enjoying it.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 AM

Hello-
I appreciate your input. I feel that the best direction is the narrower set-up, but I am still faced with a cost of unit and delivery cost issue.
First the cost of this Trans Am suspension is very cheap, plus I live in a rural area and delivery is free. But, I realize that it's "like pay me now, or pay me later" kind of deals. Less expense initially, more later, for wheels and some sacrifice on wheel travel. I am checking around locally to see if I can find a more desirable suspension at a competitive price.
I guess the ball is in my court now. Thank you very much for your advice.
Regards

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.