7ooR4 vs 400 turbo? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2002, 04:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 7ooR4 vs 400 turbo?

Hello, this is my first post here, I have a 71 chevy pickup with a nice and stout 350 runs great no complaints don't think anything special about the HP.
Behind it is currently a 400 turbo transmission that leaks like a sive! It has a shift kit in it and when it has full fluid it chirps in 2nd gear just fine at about 4500 rpm.

I am considering putting in a 700R4 so I can have some highway mileage out of it right now it can get 14mpg doing 60-65 down the road but thought I might be able to get at least 18 with overdrive.

I talked to the tranny shop they said $400 to take out the 400 and go through it and rebuild and reseal and put back in or $650 to put in a 700R4 with me comming up with a drive shaft and trying to figure out a lock up. I've been told the drive shafts can be made in Springfield Missouri for about $65.

The tranny shop all but cussed the 700R4 though said it might last a year then I'd want it pulled out.

Is it a good tranny? what year tranny do I want? How do I go about locking them up? and what are corvet servos?

thanks for your patience of reading all this and answering.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2002, 10:16 PM

Go for the 700r4 trans not only does it have overdrive but it has a lower first gear. Just make sure that it is newer then 1987. Pre 87 units were not all that good.As far as the converter lock up You can go to the how to section on this board and it will tell you how. ROY
Old 04-15-2002, 03:32 PM

Before you pull the box out try a bottle of Slich 50 tranny aditive. My buddy has a 86 Vette with a 700-R4 that was leaking like a sive and shifting terribly. He put some in and it stopped leaking and shifts great.This may buy you some time to shop for the right set up for your truck. The 700-R4 is a great box and can be built to take about anything your truck will give it. A major factor is putting the right stall converter in also. Check with the speed shops, Summit Tech line etc.Good luck.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:32 AM

You may even want to try a 200r4
Old 04-25-2002, 02:54 PM

no 200r4's for me, went through too many of those in an old station wagon dad had

I'm still up in the air on this one...

drove it last night 162 miles to another town and back and got 15.53 mpg and I wasn't at all nice to it, lost of stop and go and spin and win!
(silly toyota's don't mess with a chevy)

That was also doing 65 on highway at 2400-2500rpm

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.