8.2 10 BOLT upgrades or swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 01:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

8.2 10 BOLT upgrades or swap

Allright gang I am building up a car for my son (68 chevelle) that has the original 8.2 10 bolt non posi rear, I have already dropped in my old 396 and a saginaw 4 spd with a wide ratio and a low first gear, I have not found a 12 bolt yet so I am stuck with this for now. I am pricing an auburn traction lock rear with 3.42 gears for it but wonder if will hold up. Has anyone built up a early 10 bolt? It will take about 650.00 for parts and gears my only other viable option would be a later model 8.5 rear from a malibu or montecarlo which probably would be better suited to upgrades as the gears are more available and also posi units are cheaper, I believe that the later models 73 and up have the same 4 link mountings but might be wider any ideas out there! yes I am still looking for a 12 bolt btw

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2004, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

Somebody at Southside Machine told me the 73-77 had something different about the mounting on the rear end.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I don't know about the older housings, but the 73-77's are about 1-1/2 inches at the lower mounting bars than the 78-87's.
I would say any of the major suspension upgrade manufacturers would have the answer. Otherwise, a trip to a junkyard and some accurate measuring can answer this.

If this post can get someone to come out with accurate measurements I will post the findings in my Axle information sticky post at the top of this forum.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:46 AM

It seems that you are correct on the 73-77 rears measuring wider from end to end. Since that would limit tire and rim selection if I were to try to install into a 68 chevelle I am stuck for now beefing up the original 8.2 10 bolt, Are there any vendors who still have a posi case available ? I would probably run a 3.36 to 3.73 ratio.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:41 AM

73 rear

The shock mounts will need to be welded on the back side of the rearend as 73s went to shocks in front of the rear!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:07 AM

I haven't had any problems with mine yet........if it's possible for a kid to treat it nicely, it might not break. Might want some of those c clip eliminators put in just in case and/or one of those spiffy rear covers with the 2 bolts in the center. I haven't priced this all out yet, maybe it would be cheaper to find a 12 bolt.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:32 AM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

8.2 strength

I asked a question like this and they told me the weakest part was the spider gears. If you run a powertraxx it eliminates the spider gears. also c-clip eliminators wouldnt hurt either.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

what about an 8.5 10 bolt out of a GN....
Old 12-02-2005, 12:05 PM

Good idea....

If you run an 8.5 10-bolt from an Olds, they are a decently strong rear-end. My '72 Olds A-body has one, and they also have the added benefit of positive axle retention and do not need c-clip eliminators. They are a good compromise before finding a spendy 12-bolt.

The one in my '72 has held up fine under the strain of a 350+hp/500 ft/lbs 455/Turbo 400, including plenty of burnouts. It is even an open diff and it hasn't broken. The stock posi units are alright too, if you can find one....

The GN 10 bolt is your best bet, though, although I am not really sure about fitment.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 12-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

Im not sure about the GN rear fitting either. The 8.5 gm 10 bolt is quite strong. I ran mine with stock axles to low 11 sec passes in a 3450 lb car.

On the other hand I broke an 8.2 10 bolt in my 67 camaro with a mild 355 and 4 speed. Chewed teeth off the ring gear.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969NovaSS
I asked a question like this and they told me the weakest part was the spider gears. If you run a powertraxx it eliminates the spider gears. also c-clip eliminators wouldnt hurt either.
Yes but a Powertrax still drives the locker gears with the carrier cross pin, and the pin still breaks the carrier itself.

Also the thing that ruins the stock diff is the shock loading when the power hits. Auto trans usually take up all the gear lash before the power hits, so the diff last longer with the auto trans. Careful use will have it last with a stick shift.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

My Nova is a 8.2 Ive been running over 400 hp on it for a while, it has a fatory posi unit in it. It still lives on, no breaks or noises.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:37 PM

8.2 10 bolt

If you are simply building a car for your kid and is not going to see a lot of track time the 8.2 will be plenty strong enough for about 400 horse power. I would definately upgrade to the posi but stay away from the Auburn Gear because it is not rebuildable and the Powertrax unit will bang, clunk, click, and make all kinds of noise. As well it is probably not the best type of locker to put in the diff for a younger guy with a lot of horsepower. 12 bolts are available but costly at approximately $2500.00. Go 3.42 to 3.73 gears so it is streetable but will still have low end torque.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:47 PM

12 bolt

look in the buick skylarks 1968 or 1969 my brother has a custom it came with 12 bolt rear

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.