Hot Rod Forum banner

8.5" POSI CARRIER IDENTIFICATION

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Triaged 
#1 · (Edited)
8.5" Posi Carrier Identification

I just bought a GM 8.5" 10 bolt GOV-NR-LOK Posi carrier and am having trouble identifying its exact origin.
the following numbers are the ONLY ones that appear on the outer housing:

on the side opposite the ring gear Cast numbers are: 04-6, 8Y , 8D(maybe "18"D), and also a stamped number : E61 E61A

I was told that it probably came from a late 80's model Chevy Blazer but thats not for certain.

can anyone help me decode these numbers???

Thanks

#2 ·
I haven't seen anywhere on the net that will decode exactly what a Gov-lock is by markings. I think the reasoning behind it is because they aren't of much value because they were (are?) very weak and plentiful. I don't know a bunch about the newer ones (even though I have one from a 2000) but I have 2 buddies that had them blow up taking out the entire rear end (both were mid 80's K5's).

How many splines does it have?
The older ones were 28-spl. and the newer ones (88-up) are all 30-spl.
For a while after they changed to 30-spl. they kept the same carrier bearings and the housing was very thin and weak at that point. At some later date (99?...I think when they started calling it a 8.6") they upped the ID (and OD?) of the carrier bearings so there was more thickness on the carrier. You can get special thin bearings to put the newer carriers into older housings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.