8-71 blower question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2003, 12:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

8-71 blower question

I bought an 8-71 diesel blower on ebay. I was told I am able to convert it to gas. Is this just done by replacing the seals/bearings? Anyone know where I can send it to have this done? I bought it for my Olds 455 but it got impounded due to complications wtih the title and i got dicked. Now im down to my 86 camaro 305. Can I use it on a sbc? Or is it strictly BB material? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2003, 01:36 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

I dont know where your gonna find a sbc manifold to bolt that on to. eBay maybe?
Old 11-07-2003, 02:06 AM

Last photo:

that manifold is not hard to find. any one that sells blower stuff will have it. you need to know the compression of the motor, then you can call or email some of the blower companys to see if its doable. to the best of my knowledge you will need to change the bearings and seals, in addition you will need a front cover, snout, (some fronts have the snout made on to them) a couple of blower pulleys, blower belt, idler pully, crank hub, and a couple of other things i am forgetting about. you will probably want to send the blower out to be clearenced, they can also put the bearings and seals in. with that big of displacement blower on that small displacement motor i would think you would have to underdrive the heck out of it. thats a lot for a 305. you are going to need a really free flowing exaust set up and a split duration cam with longer exuast duration. you need some way to pull the timing under boost msd, crane, and holley make units that do this. i am thinking you really need at least a 350 to start with though. 6/71 may suit that car better.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:05 AM

Last photo:

That blower you have will need lots of work to be used on the chevy, contact Dyer Blowers in your area, you will find that the rotors will need to be milled and have teflon inserts installed and the front and rear bearings and housings have to be replaced/modified. The case has to be modified, and then you get into how to drive it, belt sizes etc. you are better off buying a kit if you don't have experience or tools to modify these.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:27 AM
Last photo:

On the project33.com web site there is a detailed article about rebuilding a GMC blower for auto use, chek it out it will be worth your time.

Vince
Old 11-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Murderator

Last photo:

I sincerely hope that you purchased the correct type of 8-71. There are actually two different types, the 8v-71 and the 8-71. You DON'T want the 8v-71, but most sellers on Ebay don't know the difference, they just rant and rave about how you can convert it to use on your hotrod.

Fact is, the 8v-71's have angled mounting holes that are undesireable. The 8-71's mounting holes shoot straight down into the manifold.

I made the mistake of buying the 8V, and everyone I spoke to said the case couldn't be used because of the mounting. I suppose you could do something to make it work...but it wouldn't be worth the time or effort.

As for the manifold, (if you have the right blower) you can always go old-school and mill the top off of a regular manifold to mount the blower up. That's how they did it "back in the day". Might be cheaper if your a DIY type of person.

Plus as someone else already mentioned, you've got to rebuild it, and get into how to drive it...you probably need a snout and all that other fun stuff. It's really better to just buy a kit from BDS or somewhere. IMO

Or you can do what I did. Buy it, find out it's the wrong thing. Put it on your toolbox for awhile...spin the gears so you can feel the air being moved by the rotors...get excited for awhile.

Once that wears off, you can donate the entire thing to a school so they can see how they work. lol
Old 11-11-2003, 11:28 PM

Last photo:

I agree with everyone else...this is a very ambitious undertaking for a novice not to mention expensive. I would try to sell it and buy a kit from Holley,Weiand or B&M etc. Believe me this is not something you want to get into. By the time you've converted this old truck blower to a decent performance piece you could have bought a brand new or used polished kit and been driving down the road. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:25 PM

thanks

Thanks everybody for all your help. Hopefully by the summer Ill have it ready to rip some wheelies. thanks again very much!!

I still undecided with that to do. The smartest thing would be to throw it back on ebay. Unfortuately, I have a tendency of doing the opposite of the right thing all the time. I screw myself in the process, but I learn a great deal along the way. I like to prove people wrong when they say I cant do soemthin. The only thing about this is how much it will cost. I will have to seriously think about rebuilding it but if i cant afford it I just cant afford it. Thanks again for all your help!!

~Streetrod

305? hell no! Its a p400 350hp. It should work out well but would be better suited for a BB. Screw stock!

Last edited by Camaro86StreetRod; 11-15-2003 at 04:22 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.