8 or 8,8 mm spark plug wires? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 05:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the other half of the story....?
"if"
you do mount a msd or other multi-spark capacitive discharge ign.....DO use atleast 8.0mm wires for EMF and RFI protection for any SS devices in your car (radio/tach/?)......
and test them to be sure they are less than 1,000 ohms per ft.....
(hey matt...do test yours!)

if you don't need more insulation, don't use it, all you are doing is making the wire core hotter which increases the resistance and decreases the spark (joules) energy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Smokey Yunick had started to do alot of testing when his book "power secrets" was released. He was mystified why they hadn`t paid closer attention to the wires in the past. One night he decided to fire up the dyno with the lights off and the plug wires laying over a metal bench. He said if you try this, you`ll see something you`ll never forget. The wires were glowing from all the electrical energy leaking from around them and that cross fire was all over the place and it looked bad. He came to the conclusion that this was what had cost him many races in the past was from leaking plug wires causing detonation and cross fire. Electricity is smart and lazy, it will always take the path of least resistance, and many times you can safely bet that path will be something other than the spark plug itself. The lesson learned for Smokey that day was make routers that were made of a non conductive material, and to keep every wire at least .500 away from one another, especially 5 and 7 on a small block chevy. Since these 2 cylinders fire one after the other it`s easy to see how if the wires are touching what can happen and how cross fire can be a problem. I see this example quite a few times at the drag strip in the past. these fellows had a 400 small block, tunnal ram, twin 600 Holley`s, 500 horse fogger with 250 cheater plate system, and god knows what else. They were running real strong that day, and they got out there for there next run and boom it came unglued. When he got it back to the pits the block was vented on the number 7 cylinder. While there are many things that can cause this type of failure, I noticed he didn`t have the plug wires routed very well and several were touching each other. Since these guys were not real friendly, I didn`t say anything, I just walked away, but some body had to tell him something, when they returned 2 weeks later, he had extension cord size plug wires and they were all routed real neatly. He went for overkill and I can see why, when you got a what used to be a dash board of nothing but MSD boxes with enough electrical energy to light off a few base ball parks, Perhaps overkill is the best way to go on insulation. This is not a disagreement with anyone, I agree with what`s been said, bigger wires mean your paying for more insultion. On my 4.3 V6 in my pickup, I run MSD wires that are factory replacements. I didn`t assemble them I just stuck them on, they are spiral core (as is every vehicle in my yard is, including 3 wheelers) and I think I paid around $60 for them and on my cutlass I used Moroso blue max wires. No complaints on either. And to think how much I get picked on for buying "them high dollar wires" lol.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

Your right about finding hangers for the 10 mil.
i had to make my own but they work great and look not to shabby eather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 mill wires.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	24063  
Old 09-08-2007, 11:33 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

Thank you for valuable inputs!

In Summit Racings catalogue, I see the resistance differ from 40-50 ohms pr feet on the 8,5 mm Summit brand wires and up to app 800 ohms pr feet on Moroso Blue max 8 mm.
Both numbers are referred to as "extremely low resistance". Not sure what to think here....

And i really like the stainless steel braided plug wires, but how do you think this surface will handle electrical leaks and cross fire problems?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The braided wires tend to get in the way and you have to ground them also. Me personally I don`t like the idea very much. In day light you won`t see any energy leaking off the wire, and if it is it gives it a direct shot to a ground and to other plug wires via the braid. While I`m not slamming them I`m only saying this was my experience with them. I think almost any high quality spiral core wire you can buy will fill the bill nicely. The lower the resistance of the wire the better to me, and why is because if the wire has less resistance than any other path, the spark is more likely to reach the plug providing the wires are routed correctly and the looms are a non conductive material. They say the gap of the plug, however small, has a high amount of resistance, so I`m kinda wondering why haven`t we seen any low resistance spark plugs. I used the Summit spiral core wires before, I really didn`t have any problems out of them either and was pleased with there service.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:

[QUOTE=staleg]Thank you for valuable inputs!

In Summit Racings catalogue, I see the resistance differ from 40-50 ohms pr feet on the 8,5 mm Summit brand wires and up to app 800 ohms pr feet on Moroso Blue max 8 mm.
Both numbers are referred to as "extremely low resistance". Not sure what to think here....

staleg,
I found this to be an interesting read. Click on "The truth about ignition wire conductors", may help on this question.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.