*8 mpg a little low - looking for 10* - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
First step, you need to get the initial timing up to around 15-20 initial. You are going to have to modify the distributors advance limit slot under the mechanical advance mechanism due to the fact that you need to keep the total below 40.

Common mod for those of use that do performance on a regular basis, but it sure does seem to throw people a curve ball when you tell them they will have to dissassemble the distributor and modify it, that there isn't some bolt-on solution.
could buy a digital distributor or buy one with an adjustable timing curve.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
could buy a digital distributor or buy one with an adjustable timing curve.
e-curve ftw
Old 08-02-2010, 06:17 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000jack
I believe it is 25 so that it has a total of 33, not a total of 40 with the old style heads. I bought the motor as a new rebuilt from Phoenix Engine. I have the cam specsIntake 442 @288 and the exhaust 465 @298. Also they gave me @.50 lift 214 int. and 224 exhaust. Standard flat top pistons. 8 inch Ford rear with 2.92 gears. Standard HEI distributor.
Not sure what intake you have, most likely won't be spread bore but edelbrock makes one for the vortec heads, if mileage is the driving thing here then get yourself a good Qjet carb, new intake and run on those mini primary's with a vacuum gage in the car, keep it above 10"hg at all times (let me know how that goes)...no fun but you may get your 10 mpg and then some Really though one of the most common points here is the ignition timing setup with a performance cam, do these HEI mods and raise that base timing and re-curve the mech, limit the vacuum advance as noted in 500+ threads on here, it works!
Old 08-03-2010, 04:36 AM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: 1927 roadster
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Well I not sure why. The first time refill I put in gas it was just under 10 mpg. I am on my 2nd time of putting in gas and it got about 12 mpg. What I did not mention originally mention is that the car sat all last year. Maybe it needed to be run. I may yet change the carb.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

gas

It is not unreasonable to expect 20 mpg on highway and 15 in town. Get a good vacumn guage and jet her down till it won,t go any lower and go small on the cam. If you are not racing this thing then the cam can be tiny and still pull good. Get an o/d transmission and gear the car for o/d cruising in the middle of your highest vacumn at 60 mph. 8 mpg is ridiculous.LOL
Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Hei has 20 degrees advance built into it. Try 16 degrees initial. That will give you 36 total. If it pings a bit, lessen the initial to 14 degrees. Run full manifold vacuum to the advance can on distributor.

Do you have a functioning choke? No hang ups anywhere?

Why are you guys calling that a big cam? 214 and 224 duration @ .050 lift. Thats around Comp Cams XE 262 which is NOT a big cam, can use stock stall converter with that cam.

I missed it or OP didn't say, what transmission?

More initial timing is going to solve this. By the way, how heavy is your foot?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.