Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 80+ oil PSI in new SBC
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevyLWB View Post
Temp was in a heated shop kept constantly at 55F. never inspected relief spring in oil pump just looked at the roll pin that was installed so that the spring couldnt be tampered with. screw on filter also is stock style that has bypass in it. should i pull the pan and look at the pump and inspect or continue with break in?
Unless you installed a high pressure pump from which you expected a 100 psi cold idle, I'd surely drop the pan and pull the pump. Quality being what it is these days pumps need to be disassembeld and inspected before use, it's become quite a problem.

When using the old (and trusted rule) of 10 PSI per thousand RPM there is little reason for an engine to operate with more than 70 PSI hot and that would be 7000 RPM which most engines can't reach, not to say yours isn't designed for that, I don't know.

I personally like more pressure at idle so work with a variable rate spring and oil viscosity. My Frankenmouse motor with 15-40 in it idles cold at 55 psi, that quickly rises to 70 where the relief opens when the RPMs climb. Hot it idles at 25, cruise RPMs of 2000 in overdrive nets about 55 psi this climbs to 70 at 3000 RPM where the relief opens.

Bogie