'80 Regal 408 Build. Tips? Opinions? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Last journal entry: 1st day out!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

'80 Regal 408 Build. Tips? Opinions?

Good Day Gentleman.

Putting together a 408 sbc. Well, the bottom end is already together for the most part. I'm buying it from a friend. He's moving to Ford So hopefully he's giving me a good deal. Here are some specs

"817" .40 over 400 small block (Refreshened)
SRP Domed Pistons PN142024
Scat 6"rods I Beam forged 4340 scr6a7
Scat Crank 3.75 Stroke 440037506
Cam (he didn't wanna reveal the specs just yet)
ARP Head studsStroker oil pan Moroso side kick out.

That's all the info I have on the bottom end combo right now. I'm just getting my feet wet, PLEasE give me any insight/opinions/ maybe even a price that YOU would buy this for. What else should I ask about?

What kind of top-end combo should I use? I have a Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap intake already. I need heads and a carb.

The regal has a fresh th350 with a new eaton posi and 3.43 gears I believe. This will be for mild street/strip use, maybe to the track 1nce a month.

Thanks in advance!!!! I appreciate your help and input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The one problem your going to run into is the compression ratio is too high. If you use aluminum heads with a 76cc chamber and use a tight quench you might scrape by on pump gas. The 6 inch rods will also benefit you here as well. I`m curious on what size rear is in the car, if it`s a 7.5 ring gear the 400`s power will gut it if you ever run slicks on the car.
It`s also very important that we know the cam size, since it has to be street compatible as well as match the rest of the combo for the best power, plus you`ll have to know so you can get the correct converter.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

Okay, I hate to say it but I'm kinda budgeted to use a lot of the items i have already. I have a new(er) 2800 - 3000 stall converter in there now. And the rear end, I believe is the stock rear end Is there a way for me to tell? I can check and post back. I DO plan to run it on the track, but maybe not outfitted in slicks. I'm thinking some MT ET streets???

Any suggestions on the heads? I'll get more info concerning the cam that's in there.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

There's some help ID'ing the rear end HERE. About 3/4 of the way down the page, "Corporate 10-bolt".

Look for pointy or blocks that they show to either side of the diff cover at the bottom.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:27 PM
More for Less Racer

Any soft tire with a 7.5" rear will destroy it in short order. ET Streets, Drag Radials, dirt compound circle track rubber, anything that sticks and KABOOM sooner than later.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

Okay, I have some world product heads from a past project, they're the s/r 042660-1 mode I believe. Can I do some port work on them to get them to flow we enough for my 408 to run efficiently?? This was suggested to me as a low-cost head option.

And what is it that's gonna go kaboom??? My posi gear with the 3.43's??? Just gathering info from ya~~~
Old 05-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

If the rear is a 7.5 inch ring gear 10 bolt, and you try to run any type of soft compound tire it`ll gut the rear as it`s not meant to handle the power of a 400. As long as you have regular street tires (no, et streets don`t count) it`ll live, makes no difference it`s a posi as this doesn`t make it any stronger.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

64cc's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
The one problem your going to run into is the compression ratio is too high. If you use aluminum heads with a 76cc chamber and use a tight quench you might scrape by on pump gas. The 6 inch rods will also benefit you here as well. I`m curious on what size rear is in the car, if it`s a 7.5 ring gear the 400`s power will gut it if you ever run slicks on the car.
Hey DoubleV, thanks for the advice... Looks like I'm scoring some Dart Iron Eagle cast iron heads, 64cc's with 215 intake runners. Can u shed some more light on my compression issue with these heads???

I do believe I have the 7.5, that being said I guess I WILL have issues with grenading the rear.

Thanks again for the input!!!

Last edited by MrChevyDC3; 05-13-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

If you use 64cc chambers the compression ratio will be too high for pump gas (93 octane) and you`ll have to use race fuel. The 7.5 with a sticky tire, as in ET street and etc. will be gutted by the 400`s power, no matter what rear unit you install. Years ago CHP did a article to where they beefed a 7.5 by adding aftermarket axles, studs to replace the bolts on the U clamps which hold the unit in place and lastly they used a cast aluminum cover that preloads the caps, the total cost comes out to $800 bucks, not quite worth it since you can likely get a whole 8.2 unit for around $500. Trust me, you would not want to be blasting down the 1/4 mile and see the tire and axle out running you, that is not a good feeling.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

I wanted to run pump gas... What about a 94 octane/ super blue mixture? Is there something my builder can do during assembly that can LOWER my compression??? I don't want detonation for sure.

and....

I wanted to use my current rear end. Any recommendations on what to pull an 8 1/2 inch axel out of? Mine definately is the stock 7 1/2, and a buddy of mine has a 28 spline 7 1/2" with moser axels, 4.11 gears in it. He's giving it up for a good deal. BUT, I should not buy that, correct? Is there a junkyard car that comes with an axel optimal for my application?

Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Check with some of the local dirt street stock racers.
Most of them run the 9" in the metric cars like yours, and you can
get them cheap, especially if you don't mind a standard rear, lots of
them are selling cheap since most want a floater now.
You should be able to pick up a complete rear end, the width you need
for your car, and with the mounts installed so it'll bolt right in, for a few
hundred bucks.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Check any circle track housings for being straight before you buy- they wreck. A LOT!
Old 05-24-2009, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

Have Heads!

Okay, so I've acquired a head/cam/lifter set for a (hopefully) nice price. I tell you, you'd think becuase it's a recession that folks would drop their prices lower. Does this NOT appy to the racing field????

I'm gonna try to post a picture of the heads, if anyone has used them or know of any performance gains/losses I may get from them, please, chime in!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	World.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	38338  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:09 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I agree with double vision. I found your pistons in Jegs, and they claim ~13:1 compression with 64cc heads. This will not work on anything but race fuel. Even with 76cc heads you are looking at 11.2:1 which is probably still too high for 94 octane if you are going with a mild cam.

Another thing, if you want any chance of running on pump gas you will need aluminum heads. As doublevision said, with the right setup you could scrape by. That will require a fairly large cam, aluminum heads, the correct quench (piston to head clearance), maybe running it a little rich, and knocking some timing out.

Pistons:
http://www.jegs.com/i/SRP/867/142024/10002/-1#

Adam
Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Detonation?

Thanks for your input fellas... As u can see, i do have a set of aluminum heads, I was just checking the specs on them here
here

I see they are 64cc's, so that won't help the cause. But my intent is to NOT make this a straight race gas motor. So i may have to rethink some things. Now I have everything but a carb.

If I retard the timing, am I crutching the power of my motor? I know it's regular practice, but would that mean I'm not reaching the potential this motor has to offer? My builder assures me that with the cam I have, I can run 94 on a daily and 110-112 on race day. Thanks again

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.