Hot Rod Forum banner

81-88 Monte Carlo Tail Lens Smoke/Black-outs

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Fragzem 
#1 ·
http://www.mikesmontes.com/6.jpg

^^^ Picture there

I e-mailed the guy at mikesmontes.com, and he wrote me back saying "Sorry don't know who makes them" and he's got a pic of them on his site for crying out loud.. gah

I'd die to find a pair of these somewhere, can't get any good results on the web, all I get is stuff for the 2002's and those 2-Door Lumina's they called a Monte Carlo (that was very brave of GM to do)

Does anyone have any ideas where I might be able to find one of these black-outs?

Thanks
Pete

#3 ·
that's a stupid place to put the picture, and to make it the same size is a sin

lol

oh well

what if i put some kind of tint over the lights? could that work? maybe some vinyl film?

#4 ·
A couple years ago, one of the speed shops around here was selling a special spray paint to tint taillights. I've never used it, but I guess it's just a candy type black paint. It might be possible to get good results, but you'd really have to keep a consistent overlap or else it would be noticeable.
It's gotta be for sale on the net somewhere....
dh

#5 ·
i probably wouldn't use anything out of a spray can. applying a candy is hard enough even with a properly set up spray gun and for durability reasons. i have done this many times and you can purchase black candy. rm and alsa make it. mix it into a little clear and you've got it. just did a 02 corvette rear taillights and 3rd brake and they came out awesome. it actually looks like they were made that way and another good thing is the clear puts a high gloss finish on the lense so it looks brand new.

#7 ·
mrcleanr6 said:
i probably wouldn't use anything out of a spray can. applying a candy is hard enough even with a properly set up spray gun and for durability reasons. i have done this many times and you can purchase black candy. rm and alsa make it. mix it into a little clear and you've got it. just did a 02 corvette rear taillights and 3rd brake and they came out awesome. it actually looks like they were made that way and another good thing is the clear puts a high gloss finish on the lense so it looks brand new.
I like this idea. Use a high quality paint shot out of a real spray gun. It would look better and last a lot longer.

#9 ·
This paint thing isn't a bad idea at all... ;)

I've got 2 lenses' from a Grand Prix I can try it on, and an extra for the monte in case I screw it up still....

i'll look into it.... probably too cold and with all the rain, too humid to do it in the winter.. but by summer I'll give it a shot....

Thanks for the idea!

#11 · (Edited)
I'm aware of that vinyl, I used a fabrication such as that on a 94 camaro's 3rd brake light, to block out all and leave just a red chevy bow tie in the center, the rest black.

Do they sell 70% dark vinyl? its gotta be see-thru, this isn't like that impala on that page, i'm not blocking out half of my lights, i'm tinting them ;-)

Re: Paining the "Smoke" on your lights,

Actually found a company that does this for u.. too pricey for me, i'll figure it out myself, but for anyone else who is interested:

http://www.smokinlights.net/

Only reason I would prefer vinyl is to say "Look officer, it's off! No need to write that UTT now, right?"

lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.