81 c10 front coil springs swap for s-10 springs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

81 c10 front coil springs swap for s-10 springs

I have a 81 c10 that I am rebuilding the front end. I want to lower the front. I have a set of s-10 coil spring that I want to use the s-10 was a 95 with a vortec v6 and air. I want to know if any one have ever done this or if you think it will not support the from of the c10.

the truck is down to the frame in the front with no front clip,motor,tranny or control arms. i just hate to put them in and put it all back together and then my oil pan seat on the ground lol

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 03:40 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

s-10 trucks do fine with v-8 in them the engine weight difference from a 4.3 to a v-8 is not alot at all

i dont know if the spring diameter or length is same as full size but a tape measure should help

measure both of the compressed lengths(mounted in vehicle with engines in them) with the springs in both of the vehicles first

it will give you an idea

if they are even the same diameter that is

compressed length of them both needs to be within a couple three inches of the same

my 91 s-10 2wd with 4.3 in it has 11" compressed length

bone stock all the way around

and lower spring end diameter 5" OD in the lower control arm

91 is same chassis and suspension as 95 just new body in 94 is all, same deal with other platforms such as the 77-90 b bodies(caprice impala etc) they changed body to bubble body in 91 but exact same chassis and suspension. s-series did the exact same thing. new body but same old platform.

i have some full size 2wd trucks parked around here also like your c10 i can measure as well

with engines in them and bone stock as well

ive got about 9.5" length compressed and looks to be around 5" OD lower end diameter as well

i have a full size truck ront crossmember suspension assembly laying separately over at the building i could measure upper diameter on that since its just the front end by itself sitting
from a c-10 truck these years late 70s early 80s

from the measurements i have gotten it appears s-series springs are taller than full size ones by an inch or inch and a half.

the correct way to lower is with dropped spindles anyways so you dont screw up geometry

you should be able to score a dirt cheap pair of use dropped spindles on an s10 site pretty easily.
or try craigslist.org free classifieds for your area. i buy selle trade parts there every day in towns around here with good results.

good luck

Last edited by fast68; 10-05-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:54 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

oh wait i forgot i got a '97 s-10 2wd parked right next to my 91 and it is 2.2L 4 cyl and it is 11.5" compressed spring height and same 5" lower diameter

same exact identical suspension as the 91

half the engine weight than my 91 with 4.3L and so 1/2" longer compressed length

makes sense to me!

the s-10 wire diameter is not tiny at all.

is very comparable, or same as full size ones by appearance

good luck

Last edited by fast68; 10-05-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 PM

dang son you did some work for me i thank you very much lol

i have the spring out of the truck now and i put the stock s-10 springs and the heated stock c-10 springs side by side and from what i can tell they would probly be the same size but the s-10 spring has 7 coils and the c10 has 8 so at this time i am still not sure which ones i am going to try

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.