Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Interior (
-   -   '81 Monte Carlo DanTwoLakes Please Help with interior (

timster2833 05-06-2013 04:26 PM

'81 Monte Carlo DanTwoLakes Please Help with interior
I've been reading through the interior threads since I joined and have figured out pretty much what I need to do and what I need to buy. I have a 1981 Monte Carlo and I am going to reupholster the interior with black marine grade vinyl. I have a gallon of the Dap contact adhesive Dan suggests in every thread and a bunch of cheap throw away paint brushes to apply it. I'm making new door panels from scratch using pvc foam as suggested. This is where my first problem comes in, I went to a local sign shop and they said they have Kometex but when they showed it to me it doesn't look how it is described. It has the pvc on the outside, but rather than a foam in the center its a hard plastic like material. They did have another material that the worker was unsure of the name but it had a dense foam in the middle and a very brittle plastic on the outside. It didn't seem to sturdy, more floppy for lack of better words. Please let me know if any of this sounds right or what I should be looking for? Also I'm going to document me interior build in this thread so please stop back with any insight or comments. Thanks in advance -Tim

DanTwoLakes 05-07-2013 07:26 AM

PVC foamboard is solid all the way through, so they didn't show you the right product. It is also called closed cell PVC, and foamed PVC. Sintra, Komatex, CelTec, and Palight are brand names, and I'm sure there are more.

timster2833 05-07-2013 08:15 AM

So the komatex looks like plastic all the way through? They have that I just thought it looked wrong because I didn't see foam in the middle. Next question is, they only carry 1/4", they can order 1/8" am I better off with one size over the other?

DanTwoLakes 05-07-2013 09:45 AM

No, it is not two plastic layers with foam sandwiched in between. It is called "foamed" because of the manufacturing process which makes it half the weight of solid PVC. It is the same material all the way through. It is also called expanded PVC. All you need is the 3MM thickness (1/8"). There are uses for 1/4", but for panels, that's overkill.

timster2833 05-07-2013 11:02 AM

Thanks for explaining it! I'm gonna order the 1/8" affter work. They want $50 for a 4x8 sheet. Next question is about how much vinyl would you use on a car like this to upholster everything. All the plastic trim, dash, 2 buckets and 1 bench seat, trunk and door panels. Just a guess.. I bought 2, 10 yard rolls amd if that's overkill is like to take one back.

DanTwoLakes 05-07-2013 11:22 AM

20 yards is a little high, but you'll need more than 10 yards, so it's better to have too much than not enough.

timster2833 05-07-2013 12:06 PM

Ok thanks, I'll update with pictures as soon as I get the material in and get started.

timster2833 05-08-2013 06:49 PM

I just bought a set of Procar Elite Series 1100 Seats, anyone have any ideas of what to use for seatbelt guides?

timster2833 05-12-2013 08:38 AM

Ok, here's my next question... I bought a molded carpet for my car, it comes with jute padding attached to it. What should I do to the floor before installing the carpet? Also do I just lay the carpet down or do I glue it down? THanks

DanTwoLakes 05-12-2013 10:55 AM

Obviously, if you want to put in a sound deadener of some kind, now is the time to do it. If it's a good quality jute pad, you don't have to add anything else as far as padding. If it lays flat, you don't need to glue the whole thing down, but on trouble spots like next to the trans. tunnel, you might want to glue it.

timster2833 05-12-2013 10:59 AM

Ok, any recomendations on sound deadening material? Also what type of glue should I use for the carpet? I have the dap top and trim that you recommend, will that work for the carpet?

DanTwoLakes 05-12-2013 11:03 AM

You can pay anything you want for sound deadeners like FatMat, Dynamat, B-Quiet, etc. Look for some that is butyl based as opposed to asphalt based. It will handle the heat better if you're in a hot climate.

You can use the DAP top and trim contact adhesive for anything inside your car and out.

timster2833 05-12-2013 04:56 PM

What do you think of this for a sound deadener and do you think 100sq ft. is enough for an entire car? 1 New Bulk Roll Mat 100 sqft Butyl Rubber Use as Auto Sound Deadener Material | eBay

DanTwoLakes 05-12-2013 07:24 PM

Remember, you don't need to cover every square inch of the car, especially the trunk, roof, and fenders. That is a very good price, and seems to be a good product. It is butyl based, so I don't think you can go wrong.

timster2833 05-12-2013 07:29 PM

Ok, I thats what I'll get then. Where and how much do you put it? It's a silly question but everything that I've read so far is conflicting. I've read everything from use it on the inside of the door skins as well as behind the door panels as well as every inch of the car to small strips here and there.. Can you shed some light on this? BTW. Thank you for all your help!

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.