81 trans am with 70 buick 455?????!?!?! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

81 trans am with 70 buick 455?????!?!?!

I have an 81 trans am with a 301 in it. But there's multiple problems with that engine and I have a Buick 455 that came out of an 70 Electra 225. And I'm wondering will it work?? And if so can you guys give me some info on how I may go about doing so.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

Sure it will work...as long as it fits in the engine bay. It's called Hot Rodding, trial and error, fab work etc. You may have to make custom motor/trans mounts, figure out your exhaust among other things. Might not be easy but I would think the end result would be worth it. See taperformance.com for any needed hipo engine parts.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

Hey, I also have a 81' T/A If I am not mistaken I believe the engine mounts from the BOP are all the same so it should bolt in. Also, the trannys are the same and is a direct bolt up. Other then lengthening some wires for the Distributor, Alternator, or any other temp sensors or anything. I am not sure what side the Starter is on but its all a matter of bolting up the tranny and making wires fit. Since your going to drop in such a big beefy engine with much more power then the original, you should check out the engine and tranny mounts to see what condition there in. being so old, you might as well replace them now while the engine is out. Also, I am not sure when there really needed, but I think you should look into sub frame connectors. Hope it goes well

Adam
Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymann3
If I am not mistaken I believe the engine mounts from the BOP are all the same so it should bolt in.
Unfortunately, you are mistaken. The blocks are all different, the attachment points are all different, and the mounts are all different. The second-gen F-body shares the front subframe with the 75-79 X-body cars (Nova and clones). I don't recall if the Buick V8 ever got put in those cars, but I know the V6 did. You should be able to use those mounts, if you can find them.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

block up the tranny so it cannot mov. Pull the 301 and hang the 455 in place till it is able to be bolted to the tranny. You will now be able to see exactly where the motor mounts will go. Hopefully there will be a few holes already in the frame if not get out the drill.
Good luck.
Clint
Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 PM

I actually haven't gotten any of the engines out yet so I dnt know any of the mount conditions but would the tranny that's on the 445 now bolt on or would it be tons different considering it's coming from an Electra. And can anyone else confirm if that's correct on the bop being able to just bolt on, because from other things I've been reading each engine from the different companies are totally not the same. Atleast that's what I get from other articles. Believe me I'm far from telling someone what to do. =D I've got lots to learn still.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 PM

What do you mean by block up the tranny?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

When you fit the Buick up to the Pontiac transmission you will want the transmission exactly the way it is when the 301 is hooked up. So do what it takes so the tranny does not dip down in the front once you unbolt the torque convertor and the transmission bolts to the 301. There are as many ways to hold up the tranny as there are guys in this forum. Just make sure the cross member bolts stay in place and block up the front while leaving room to work,. You will have to put the Buick in and out a few times probably to fab up the frame mounts . Clint
Old 08-05-2010, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

When you fit the Buick up to the Pontiac transmission you will want the transmission exactly the way it is when the 301 is hooked up. So do what it takes so the tranny does not dip down in the front once you unbolt the torque convertor and the transmission bolts to the 301. There are as many ways to hold up the tranny as there are guys in this forum. Just make sure the cross member bolts stay in place and block up the front while leaving room to work,. You will have to put the Buick in and out a few times probably to fab up the frame mounts . Clint
Old 08-06-2010, 01:12 PM

Ok how about this question. I researched to see what tranny I have in the car now and it's a th350 would that handle the 455 or should I try and use the th400 that's already mated to the 455. Ate there any difference in sizes to the two trannys? Or it just bigger gears?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.