817 block 400 chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 12:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

817 block 400 chevy

Hi all,

Just bought a sbc 400 2-bolt main today for $150. The motor was pretty gummed up and has been sitting for some time. The motor has never been apart. The guy said it had the original head gaskets on it so it has never been bored. The pistons are pretty much all seized up in the bores. However, the cylinders are all exceptionally clean.....except for one. It is rusted pretty bad and I am afraid there might be some pretty good pits in there when it is all cleaned up. The guy thought that all the other cylinders would clean up well at .010 except for that one bad cylinder. He thought it might take more than .030 to clean it up. So what do I do? What is the general consensus on sleeving a cylinder? It is going to be a 400+ hp engine. What is the best route to go here? I guess I'm a little nervous about it and dont want to lose any sleep over it. Just lookin for the best alternative here. I sure hope I dont have to turn it into a giant paper weight just because of one bad cylinder. First order of business is to clean it up and take it in to have it magnafluxed. I want to get all the pistons and cam out first though. They are pretty seized up so what would be a safe way to loosen them up and knock em out? Thanks for any input.

Chevy 21

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2005, 01:10 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

See if you can get away with a .020" bore. That is what I did on my 400. The more cylinder wall remaining the better.

I got my complete bottom end on Ebay for $700. It has Eagle crank and rods, and KB hyper. pistons. That will get you 400 hp with stock heads and a decent cam.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:54 AM

have the machinist look at it and tell him to bore til its ok in that one cylinder and see where you end up.you can get away with .040" if its a good block.if not get your money back.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:26 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Sleeving a block is nothing to worry about if done correctly. You may want to check the financial aspect to see if it might be cheaper to get another block. In my experience .040 seems to be the limit for 400 blocks. Have your machinist sonic test the cylinder wall thickness to be sure there is sufficient thickness on all cylinders. I have found many 400 blocks that wouldn't hold a .020 over bore.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.