Hot Rod Forum banner

82 bronco ignition wiring diagram needed

8K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  rob_isr 
#1 ·
Looking for ignition wiring diagram for 1982 351 bronco.
I can't start the engine (really embarrassing).
I'm not getting any spark at the plugs, the coil will spark if I hot wire it.

#2 ·
Very easy to find wiring diagram online, even AutoZone gives one. Do you have a stock '82 distributor? If so it should be a Duraspark ignition(module on driver's side inner fender, usually blue strain relief grommet), the distributor will have a "horseshoe" type of harness that plugs into coil. The Duraspark modules/boxes are famous for quitting with no issues beforehand or working until they get warm/hot then shutting down until they cool. The module would be the first place I would look at, Autozone tests these for you free(not always 100% confident with their findings though). The DS distributor has a magnetic pickup that some times goes bad, use an ohm meter to test should be 400 to 800 ohms, more or less and it's bad. Could also be an ignition switch issue. If you directly run a wire from battery + to + side of coil and it starts and runs problem lies with ignition switch, resistance wire and/or wire run to coil. Do not run it long this way, the ignition module/box will overheat and shut off. Good luck.

#3 ·
Since you last posted that you cant find the pickup coil in the distributor, that would mean you have a duraspark III EEC Ignition.

Computer controlled ignition and emission devices (Minimum)

Dura spark II has the pickup coil in the dizzy

#6 ·
If it is has California emissions it should have DS III, a 49 state legal Bronco "should" have a DS II, I had an '82 F250 & '82 Bronco 4x4's both w/ 351w's and both came with DS II ignition. It states he is in Israel, not sure if it is a state side city or if it is overseas country of Israel, which may have an impact on ignition components due to emissions regulations.

#9 ·
Here's the complete story (so far).
A friend bought the bronco somewhere in the states (I think NJ) around 4 month ago.
A few days ago the truck has finally arrived to Israel and he drove the truck for a couple of hours with no problems.
Couple of miles before his home he went over one of those road bumps that are ment to slow you down.
The bronco died and he could not start it since.
There aren't any old bronco mechanics around here, so he called me.
I thought It's gone be a 5 min task (I rebuilt my sbc before), little did I know...

So now, equipped with all the new information I got from all of you, I'm going over to him and will try to find the missing spark.

#11 ·
The wiring diagram I posted clearly shows the power for the EEC IV Relay comes from the Blk/red wire that goes to a fusible link (18 Gauge red ) (on the starter solenoid)

That would be the power feed for the relay switched cicuit that feeds the Pump relay , coil, EECIV etc.

The RELAY COIL circuit, gets its power from fuse 18 in the fuse box,On the Red with yellow hash colored wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.