Hot Rod Forum banner

82 chevy engine rebuilding?

887 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sbchevfreak 
#1 ·
i am rebuilding a 82 chevy 305 and i pulled my piston to replace rings and i dont know if there is a certian order the pistons should should go in. and which order the parts that go around the crank, where the rod bolts together.(the ones whith the "x" first?

#6 ·
If you have mixed up the rod caps, and such, you might as well go in for a full rebuild. You could have them bolted together and resized, but a set of rods for a 350 is pretty cheap now. If you are going to do the whole thing, do you have a plan in mind for HP and TQ goals? Start with that, and you can ask questions and read/learn the techniques and skills needed to get you there. Everybody messes up at least once, some of us many more times than that. If you aren't afraid of it, and have someone to hel out when you are stumped, dive in. It may take a while to fininsh, but you will have learned a ton in the process. One of the big things is don't rush. Take your time, measure twice, three, four times and cut once Speed will come with experiance.

For the next one, buy a set of number stamps to mark the rods and caps before you take them apart. Saves some aggravation when it is time to reassemble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.