82 Chevy Truck change to small pattern - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 11:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

82 Chevy Truck change to small pattern

Can you guys tell me a way to put my small chevy car pattern wheels on the 5 by 5 truck ? Is there any 4 and 3 quarter small Chevy hub etc that I can install on the front of truck? Any help is appreciated .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2004, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

why do you want to change to the small bolt circle?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:20 PM

I have alot of mag wheels to fit car bolt pattern.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

I would stick with the larger 5X5 bolt circle. It is just as easy to find wheels for those as it is the 5X4-3/4. In fact alot of wheels are dual drilled with both bolt circles.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

Inventory

Sounds like you are saying that you ALREADY HAVE lots of rims in the smaller pattern and want to use them. ?? If that is the question, then yes you could change the spindle and hub. Lots of work, so maybe sell some of your inventory and get larger pattern.

hr41pearl
Old 01-06-2004, 09:00 PM

The dual bolt patterns I find are usually small Ford and small Chevy combo. I have some old aluminum slots straight small Chevy and then I have some of the above mentioned; and also have Centerlines ,same deal ; have small Chevy ,and combo small Ford, Chevy patterns. Had the truck two days and itching to put mags on it. The rear hums some and Im thinking of changing it out. I have a couple 9 inch Lincoln disc-brake rears ; same pattern as the truck : 5by5 inch and also 80 Trans Am 8.5 posi , 256 gear . Lincoln gear is about same ; no posi. I like the high gears , so thats fine. Now which rear do you guys think I should go with . Ill have to measure lenghth of truck rear and then the others unless someone might know already. I think the Lincolns are the big ,late 70s models . Thanks Musky 2
Old 01-07-2004, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

Choices

The Versi was a POSI rear and the gears where 2 something. I had a junk yard build me one with posi and 342 gears. I hope to change out my tranny to a 700r4 next month. But I have always like a posi in a truck. As for RIMS, there are lots of choices. You just need to pick one. Post a picture when you have time.

hr41pearl
Old 01-07-2004, 11:51 PM

I dont have a Versaille , the two I have are the wide Lincolns . What spindles and hubs from small Chevy pattern or what donor car to replace truck pattern? Thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

Junk Yard Dog

You should call your local wrecking yard and ask them what they have. You need to be very specific as to what you are currently running. They are very useful. You can then decide if you want buy new or from them. Example. They where able to take my rear axle and change it to 342 gears, add posi, and disk brakes. I am sure they could have changed the pattern also, if I wanted. Made lots of good friends roaming around junk yards.

hr41pearl
Old 01-09-2004, 12:09 AM

Chevy truck wheel pattern change

Your V ersaille 9 inch rear is easier to work on than the Gm 10 bolts . I mean I can get any rear I need reasonably ; just cant decide which one to go with . Im not going to buy new wheels so I have to use the ones I have. What about having a machine shop drill axle flanges for a small Chevy wheel pattern ? ; and same to front rotors and hubs. Thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

Junk Yard

I just talked with the guy over at the junk yard that I use the most. They have axles stacked to the ceiling. If you call one near you, I bet they are the same. Tell them what you have in the rear and they can sell you a set for your bolt pattern. They can also tell you what to use for the front aframes spindle. I had the Lincoln in my 41 pickup and they sold me the axle to go current pattern, yet truck diameter. I think they only charged me $100 for the pair. I converted the 41 to IFS and had several spindle choices from various manufactures. Again, I could have gone to the yard, but I decided to go tube with Wilwood brakes. If you can't find a yard near you let me know what you have and what you want. I can call the ones I use.

hr41pearl
Old 01-09-2004, 08:56 PM

Tthom , thanks for all the info ; let me figure out what Im going to do. I didnt know you could change axles ! I guess if I find one that are same length and end axle bearing it would work.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.