82 monte carlo rearend question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 01:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

82 monte carlo rearend question

i think the rear is stock the question is when i sit a stop sign an do a breaktork i only leave one line so one tire spins how do i get that to stop when i leave marks i wanna leave both not one ... is it the rearend? trac control?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 01:45 AM
406 Caprice:Rust Never Sleeps!

You have an "open" type differential, and would need to change to a "posi" type to have both wheels powered. There are many different types, but easiest to find and most affordable are stock gm 10 bolt. Search the knowledge base if you want more detailed information or explanation of different types of posi rearends.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:34 PM

mini spool

look in jegs,they offer a few mini spools.Its a cheap way to go.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:

spools are a bad idea on the street. do a search on the subject, it has been discussed extensively.
what you have is a 7.5 inch 10 bolt. these axles aren't known for their strength but with less than 300 foot pounds of torque and a nice driver they will live for a good long time on the street.
as stated earlier you want a "posi" or positive traction rear end. you can buy various units from jegs or summit including "lockers" that lock and unlock by themselves as you go around turns, noisy but effective. and install them in your axle
or you can do some hunting in a junk yard for one. your going to need a rear end from either a Monte Carlo, regal, grand am, cutlass or grand national maybe some other full size Chevy's of that era. look for the grand national, some came with the 8.5 ten bolt, a much better axle. good luck though, they are like a needle in a hay stack. the monte carlo doesn't lend its self well to adapting strong axles at 57 3/4 inches wide its narrower then most, and the brackets are complicated.
to determine if an axle is a "posi" look for a tag hanging on the differential cover that says something like "use only limited slip gear lube". this tag is often gone so, to be sure lift the rear tires of the vehicle off the ground and with the transmission in park or the yolk held from turning spin one tire. if the other tire spins the same direction its a posi, if it spins the opposite direction its open.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.