Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 83 305 4 bbl conversion to 350 w/750 edelbrock
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo56
Not trying to make this all about NAPA and returns but you often get better treatment if you are a regular customer.

I can return almost anything at the two stores I buy from...but O'Reilly's? Not a chance. Since they are the highest priced in town they seldom see me.

Most stores around here also do not take back any electrical returns.. starters, alternators, ignition, etc. You own it once you bought it. But, again, I can get away with a better deal as can most shops and repair guys.

Good luck on your swap...
Good point in regards to regular or at least "repeat" customers.

Another little secret ...
If I get some guy that comes in furious and throwing a fit ... bad-mouthing us to everyone in line and promising to never darken my door again ...
I'll take him at his word.

A promise is a promise, after all.

I really do believe in being given the chance to work it out reasonably and fairly.

I feel the same about a mechanical repair complaint...
Take it back to the shop that did the repair, and give them the chance to "make it right". Don't go back waving a bill from some other garage and expect reimbursement, because 9 times out of 10, you won't be getting it. Right?

Hmmm ... in regards to returns of starters and especially alternators.
That's getting to be a tough one.

Years ago an alternator was a $25 to $50 unit ... and had an external regulator. If it passed the "sniff test" and there were no signs of arcing or blueing on the terminals ... I'd probably take it back. Back in those days, we also used to have an electrical test bench ... where a 2-minute test could verify that it was operating normally.

Nowadays ... alternators are getting to be much more expensive and complex. I'd have to know and trust you before I'd consider taking it back.
A $10,000.00 / month account? Yes, no question.

Last edited by 66GMC; 04-08-2012 at 09:33 AM.