83 chevy caprice rag top rust - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Actually these cars are worth something today believe it or not even the 4drs are easy to sell I wish I had a few like yours because swapping out the roof is pretty easy...as long as its just rust and not because a tree fell on it....Heres one I did for a kid ...the A pillars are the hardest part you dont want to just cut straight through them what you want to do is use the whole pillar thats original to the car ,drill out the dozen welds on each side where they're welded to the roof....where they're welded at the 1/4 is the easy part since theres a molding that covers up the welded seam...You'll have to pull the glass but thats simple to since they arnt glued in back then....Check it out...
A tree fell on this one so it was a little more compliacated ,I had to pull the pillars back to where they were....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7539.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	76070   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7540.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	76071   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7542.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	76072   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7550.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	76073   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7553.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	76074  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
How much more rust is on this beast? Is it localized to what we see in the photo? I have seen that many times where the roof got scratched in the gutter by some guy cutting out a window and it wasn't protected with primer and paint and that is all it took!

Are there any other rust spots this bad or anything like it on this car? If this is the only severe spot like this, you could think about doing a "bestest" repair with fiberglass filler or something and the car would be good for a number more years. It's so hard to say without pulling up the whole vinyl top. I have pulled off a vinyl top like that where there were big bumps under the vinyl and I thought I was going to find holes but found only spots with "flakey biscuit" like rust that was pushing up the vinyl.

It was localized with just a couple layers of this rust flake and under it though the metal was thin it was solid.

You could possibly only have what we see in that photo of serious rust. If this is the case you clean it up, leave the structure rusty, spray some magic rust cover upper on it and weld a piece of metal replacing the rusted skin and be down the road. It's a HUGE project, even a patch if you were to remove the vinyl top and all that but very do-able. IF that is what we are seeing is the worse of it and there isn't any other spots this bad. If the rust is all over the car and you are only showing one spot, get a rain coat and drive it until it falls apart.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 07-28-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

hey Brian that's all the rust i have SEEN but i figured out i had a problem while driving down the highway when suddenly i had a lot more noise in the cab of the car. it seems i had an air tunnel up there and the interior piece of metal had rusted through and was flapping in the passenger part of the car. the flap would go back in place when the car slowed down and thus the air pressure stopped putting pressure on the flap. so as you probably gathered its screwed up all over the roof.

the car was given to me a few years back it has always been in my family so i was given it on the condition that i wont sell it. that being said i don't have money for restoration but still need a car so i guess im grabbing my rain coat.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

not being funny but you could go it Lowe's or Home Depot and get a few cans of foaming urethane sealer and just fill it in, shape it to match, reglue your vinyl top down and drive it.

DBM showed you the right way but it is a lot of work.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:32 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I'd say a stop sign but a one way sign has a nice straight edge that can butt up against the glass really nice.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

IF you want to/need to drive it and don't have the money to fix it right there is nothing wrong about doing a backyard temporary fix.

Clean the area up as good as you can with Naval Jelly or such, then fill the hole with great stuff foam or similar. Once it is cured , shape it to the roof profile and coat it with a spray can of the rubber stuff that you see on tv used in the guys row boat bottom. Glue the vinyl back down, seal along the edges with some glue and drive it until you can afford to fix it right. Might last 1 month or 5 years, who knows or cares, it should only cost $20 to find out.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.