84 buick 307 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

84 buick 307

i have an 84 buick lesabre with a 307. i have herd that i can put an aftermarket intake manifold and carb on it to elminate all the emissions and electronic programming. i have also herd i have to do something to the distributer. i do not know what though. i want to keep ac if it is possible. i would like to get a little more power out of the 307. i have no clue where to start or what i need anything would help. please HELP my poor sluggish 307!

Advertisement

Last edited by buickbanger84; 05-29-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The Olds 307 is a good work horse engine, but once they get high miles they are gutless. The CCC system on your car can be eliminated by bolting on a regular non electronic Quadrajet carb and by swapping the distributor to the older HEI with mechanical and vacuum advance. Things you can do to help it aren`t much. The biggest issue is the rear gears, they are a very high ratio, usually in the 2.56 ratio area making the vehicle very sluggish. You can open up the exhaust and have a dual system installed, install a K&N air filter, and tune it up with spiral core plug wires, brass terminal cap and rotor. If the engine has high miles, the mods mentioned are really a waste of time since as mentioned, once they get high miles there dead players.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

X2. The 307 was never intended to be a performance motor. Simply removing the CCC system will NOT produce any magic increases in performance. Disabling the EGR actually causes the engine to ping. The least expensive upgrade is to replace the 307 with an Olds 350 motor, which is a bolt-in swap.

Also as note above, the rear axle ratio, along with the restrictive stock exhaust will also hinder performance.

Bottom line is that simply ripping out stock equipment without knowing what you are doing will cause more harm than good.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:21 PM

thank you

thank you i took your advice i found a 70's(?) model buick lesabre with 350 and 350 trans so i can get rid of the 200r4 and 307! only question is can i hook up my ac?
Old 05-30-2010, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

That may not be a simple bolt in swap.You are planning on switching from an Olds 307 to a Buick 350.You might run into some problems,but I'm sure that with enough patience it is do-able.
Guy
Old 05-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickbanger84
thank you i took your advice i found a 70's(?) model buick lesabre with 350 and 350 trans so i can get rid of the 200r4 and 307! only question is can i hook up my ac?
Again, an OLDSMOBILE 350 is a bolt-in, since the current engine is an OLDSMOBILE 307. A Buick engine is NOT a bolt-in. You will need Buick motor and frame mounts for a 1977-1990 B-body. The V6 mounts MIGHT work, but no guarantee. All the accessory brackets will be different. The wiring is different. The starter is different and is on the opposite side of the motor. The exhaust is different.

You can do this swap, since the Buick motors were still offered in the 77-79 cars, but you'll need to source a lot of parts to bolt it in. Cars prior to 1977 do NOT have the correct frame mounts.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:06 PM

it is a 1970 buick. i was told that was the only year for the high compression engine. is that true? motor mounts shouldnt be a prob i have torch and welder. shouldn't i be able to buy the same 1970 mounts and weld them on? or do i need the 77-79 motor mounts? i really appreciate all the help you guys are awesome.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:43 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

'70 buick ~could~ be a high compression engine at 10.25 I think, but that's not going to come out of a low performance car... the '77-'79 mounts will bolt in, the '70 mounts will not fit
Old 05-31-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickbanger84
it is a 1970 buick. i was told that was the only year for the high compression engine. is that true? motor mounts shouldnt be a prob i have torch and welder. shouldn't i be able to buy the same 1970 mounts and weld them on? or do i need the 77-79 motor mounts? i really appreciate all the help you guys are awesome.
You were told incorrectly. 1970 was the LAST year for high compression, but not the ONLY year. Is gasoline not expensive enough for you that you want a motor that requires premium? As noted above, not all motors from the 1960s were high compression, in fact most probably were not. Also, GM engines prior to 1971 do not have hardened valve seats required for unleaded fuel. This is not so much of a problem on an occasionally driven collector car, but it will require more frequent valve jobs on a daily driver.

You can make anything fit with a big enough hammer and checkbook. The question is, it this really a good idea? Sorry to be brutally honest, but your posts don't make it sound like you have a lot of experience. Simply stabbing the wrong mounts into a random chassis with a welder can lead to a number of other problems, like lack of steering clearance, the need for expensive custom bent exhaust pipes, etc. Using the 77-79 mounts ensures everything bolts up. You can probably use the 77-79 exhaust pipes and it bolts in. Your money, your call.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:31 PM

appreciate honesty

yeah your right thats why i ask is cause i dont have experience. i will use the 77-79 monuts. thank you for the help

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.