84 camaro clip on 1950 chev 1/2 ton? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 10:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

84 camaro clip on 1950 chev 1/2 ton?

Anyone ever done this?----put a 84 style camaro clip on a 1950 chev 1/2 ton? any info or links is appreciated.I had thought about the S-10 but I see it really is a lot of work also.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

One thing to be aware of is the track width. The S-10s have a width that is close to the AD trucks, the camaro is going to be wider.
Kim
Old 10-15-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip46wis
Anyone ever done this?----put a 84 style camaro clip on a 1950 chev 1/2 ton?
Probably not a good option. The 3rd generation F bodies have unibody construction with McPherson struts. That doesn't sound very adaptable to me, or at least not as easily adapted as some of the more popular clips. How about pre-3rd generation Camaro, or maybe Nova?

Bob
Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

The 84 Camaro is a unibody, there is no subframe to use.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Don't us a Camaro clip on one of those trucks the track is too wide. A Nova clip is much closer to the correct width and will look much better with no tire interference with the fenders.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:05 PM

Last journal entry: Artillery wheels
Last photo:

Did a few on 55-59 trucks, but never a 50.
Just like said need a smaller one than the 70-81 camaro.
84 has no sub frame anymore.

Wander.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

'76 Camaro front clip on my '59 Apache

I am hoping someone can help me on this... I installed a '76 Camaro front clip on my '59 Apache and need to know the height of the front brackets that the front clip bolts to in relation to the main frame. I need to remove and reweld the front pumper supports because it was installed at the wrong height the first time. I have the cab and front end removed and didn't want to reinstall to take measurements if possible. I have attached a picture with arrows pointing t the brackets. I hope propaneburner did mind me using part of his picture, thank you and thanks for any help...
Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolaroaa
I am hoping someone can help me on this... I installed a '76 Camaro front clip on my '59 Apache and need to know the height of the front brackets that the front clip bolts to in relation to the main frame. I need to remove and reweld the front bumper supports because it was installed at the wrong height the first time. I have the cab and front end removed and didn't want to reinstall to take measurements if possible. I have attached a picture with arrows pointing t the brackets. I hope propaneburner did mind me using part of his picture, thank you and thanks for any help...

The original frame is flat on top from the rear kickup to the front of the frame. The core support brackets are about 1 1/4" high. I would set a straight edge in the top of the frame behind where you modified it, and shoot the front of the frame off that. Then measure up 1 1/4" for the core support mount. I actually shoot my frames with a Laser level to do this.

As to what subfame to use on an 47 to 54 AD truck, The factory tread width is right on 57". A 67 to 69 Camaro/Firebird, 68 to 74 Nova are both the same width, 56.5", and for this purpose are identical. They have the advantage of rear steering, and don't interfere with the core support. A 78 to 87 GM A and G body are about 56" wide, and are front steer. The core support has to be modified for room.

A 70 to 82 Camaro/Firebird, 75 to 79 Nova, is 60.5" to 61" wide, too wide for an AD truck, but just right for a 55 to 59 truck. They are also front steer, but installed correctly in a 55 to 59 truck clear the core support fine.

You can use the 70 to 82 Camaro spindles on a 78 to 87 A and G body front end, they have bigger brakes, and bolt in. It also gives you somewhat quicker steering.

79 to 84 RWD Cadillac spindles will also fit the A and G body subframe, as well as the 70 to 82 Camaro subframe and have 12" brakes. 94 Camaro rotors will fit the caddy spindles for a 4 3/4" bolt pattern.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 AM

Last photo:

Core support location

Thank you so much for your reply on the core support location for my '59 Apache... This will save me a ton of time...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.