84 Camaro SB - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2003, 03:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

84 Camaro SB

I am trying to fix my 84 camaro that i bought off of somebody. All i need to know is where is the distributor supposed to be pointing when the crank and cam are alligned by the indicator marks on the gears. I would really love to get this car running so any help would ber terrific

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

indicator marks on the gears

Are you using timing gears instead of a timing chain? If you were to look at the distributor rotar, with the cap off, as a clock face then the rotar should be pointing at the 5 o'clock position, that should put the #1 sparkplug wire right there also. Hope I didn't confuse you.

http://www.chevytalk.com/ Contacts here might also help you, I use it for reference materials.

Todd

RAt Rods Rule!
Old 10-05-2003, 03:49 AM

I am using a timing chain(that badly needs to be replaced). i haven't had time to check out what you said. but i will tomorrow it is still dark right now and I won't have any time later today. I sure hope it works. thanks for your help!
Old 10-05-2003, 03:49 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Are you talking about the mark on the vibration dampener and the tab mounted on the timing cover? Did you remove the distributor for some reason? Were you told the car would run or does it need timing chain replacement? The timing chain can only wear so much and then the engine will not stay in time or will not be timed at all. How many miles are on this engine? Was this engine ever rebuilt? You will need to bump the starter, with the plugs removed preferably because its easier to bump the engine and not have it JUMP or try and start. Bring the dampener mark to the spot on the tab where the engine is in time then look at the distributor rotsr with the cap off, you will need to trace the #1 wire to the cap first and mark the cap there.. I don't know what timeing is for an 84 Camaro, you will have to look that up. or try these people; http://www.chevytalk.com/

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 10-09-2003, 01:26 PM

That is a lot of questions...I will see how many I Can Answer.
1. My original question was with the crank gear and cam gear lined up with each other by the indicator dots. Not the vibration dampener and the timing cover tab.
2. The guy I bought the car from put on a new intake and carb,(Edelbrock Intake and a Holly 650CFM carb). He says he messed with the distributor when he changed the spark plugs.
3. The fellow said it would run it the timing was set. I already changed the timing chain and gears because it was only like $25 dollars for the kit and a harmonic balancer puller.
4. The engine has approximately 180,000 miles. As far as i know the motor has never been rebuilt.

On another note...
I had somebody tell me the carb might be too big for the motor, so i took the spark plugs out so the motor wouldn't have any compression. the motor turned over very nicely. I reinstalled the plugs and got the timing straight. I tried starting it and it turned over OK. I gave it a little gas and the motor didn't wan't to turn over so well.
Thanks for your willingness to help out a beginner Todd. I am going to try http://www.chevytalk.com/ right now.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Superior Wheels Quality Tech

Last photo:

Is it backfiring or anything? What exactly is it doin when you turn it over?
Old 10-12-2003, 01:08 AM

Last edited by Gen3_with_455; 07-19-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:27 PM

Weak Starter?

The engine is turning over realy slow. I have had the starter tested at Advanced auto parts. They said it was ok. I have redone the timing, and the plug wires and everything is right now. The battery is brand new. could it be the starter?
Old 10-13-2003, 04:39 PM

Last edited by Gen3_with_455; 07-19-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:24 PM

If by a drawn out stressed crank you mean that it isn't continous it is a drawn out stressed crank. The battery has 585 Cold Cranking Amps. I have had the battery in a new mercury tracer and it starts just fine. someone @ Chevytalk.com told me to pull the valve covers and make sure the valves are moving...guess i'll do that tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:23 PM

Last edited by Gen3_with_455; 07-19-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Hmm.. Been readin through this post and figured I'd put my 2 cents in... When I had my timing 180 out it didn't cause it to crank slow.. It would crank just fine but have a really odd back fire sound... My suggestion is that maybe its a little to far advanced and the engine is kicking back on the starter. Rotate the distributor clockwise to retard it and see if it will crank then... If so then put a timing light on afterwards and set the timing properly that way. Over tightened valves seem pretty legit too but I've never had this problem so wouldn't be able to tell what it is like..
Old 10-13-2003, 08:54 PM

Last edited by Gen3_with_455; 07-19-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:54 PM

Bad Starter!

The Starter was bad! I took it to my local Napa store and had the starter tested. The First time it tested positive but it was sparking a little at the connections. The next time it didn't spark and it tested Bad. (ODD) So we tested it again, and again it came out bad. I have another starter ordered and it will get here tomorrow. I will let yall know how it goes!
Old 10-16-2003, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

Good to hear.. So where you from? You need to get some pics posted of this camaro. Always like seein more 3rd gens bein fixed up

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.