84 Cutlass, Chevy 383, How to wire a/c compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 08:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

84 Cutlass, Chevy 383, How to wire a/c compressor

I've been at this car for the past 4 years, now I'm in the final stages. I'm doing the last of the under hood wiring and cant figure how to hook up the a/c compressor. It's a Sanden compressor with one black wire connected to it. How do I make this work? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

Does the car still have the factory air conditioning setup?

If it does, then the wire to the AC clutch should come from a pressure cycling switch on the accumulator.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

I noticed that its a green wire, not a black wire. Yes it has the factory a/c. The original a/c-heater box had a crack in it so I replaced it before I put the new motor in. A pressure cycling switch? What does it look like? I'll check again when I get off work.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

ok. I went and looked on my break. the pressure cycling switch on my car has 2 male ends on it. the connector from the compressor also has a male end. I've also been reading the haynes manual for the last few hours(i work part time @ advance auto). the book is for 1970-88 chevy monte. i've discovered that there are 2 types of a/c systems. POA on earlier cars and CCOT on later cars. the compressor I have came out of a 1973 Impala. Can I get it to work in my 84 Cutlass?

Last edited by labreejr; 12-03-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by labreejr
ok. I went and looked on my break. the pressure cycling switch on my car has 2 male ends on it. the connector from the compressor also has a male end. I've also been reading the haynes manual for the last few hours(i work part time @ advance auto). the book is for 1970-88 chevy monte. i've discovered that there are 2 types of a/c systems. POA on earlier cars and CCOT on later cars. the compressor I have came out of a 1973 Impala. Can I get it to work in my 84 Cutlass?
The compressor will work fine with the system in your Olds.

Here is where the cycling switch is:

1981 Olds 98

The A/C pressure cycling switch is located on the accumulator in the suction (low) side of the system. Power comes to the switch from the HVAC controls via the light green wire. The switch contacts make when the pressure is above a certain point, and sends power down the dark green wire to the compressor clutch.

Hope this helps...

Joe G
Old 12-03-2008, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Ok, so should I just connect the dark green wire going to the accumulator with the wire from the compressor? Splice into it or cut it and connect the 2 wires?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok, so should I just connect the dark green wire going to the accumulator with the wire from the compressor? Splice into it or cut it and connect the 2 wires?

I would look for the plug near the engine where the dark green wire comes out of the main harness and used to plug into the old engine harness. It should be a 3 or 4 wire connector on the inner fender, ahead of the heater box, towards the front of the engine.
If possible, I would cut the dark green wire off at the engine harness plug and splice a new wire in from there to the compressor clutch.

Otherwise, you could cut the dark green wire near the pressure switch, splice a wire to it and run it directly to the compressor.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

Joe G, you're being a great help. To go back a little to a previous question you asked....Does the car still have the factory a/c set-up? It does, but some of the wiring IS missing. This 4 wire connector you are referring to is not there. You are correct that the green wire comes out the connector to the compressor, I remember now seeing it on a Cutlass @ the scrap yard. I'll have to go back and get all the wiring. There are 2 green(light & dark), red & I can't picture off hand what the other color is on the connector. Where do the other 3 wires go seeing that I dont have all the factory wiring under my hood?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 PM

Last photo:

I have an '81 Olds 98 that I am looking at for reference. Your wiring could be slightly different, but I bet they're the same.

On this one, there are only two wires in that connector (the dark green and a ground wire from the compressor clutch - which is no longer needed in your case), plus one large (8-10 ga.) wire that's cut off flush at the back of both connectors - maybe from the factory. edit: the cut off wire was the power feed to the blower high speed relay. It was bypassed around the plug because it had bad contacts that partially melted the plug body.

It appears that the only wire you need to worry about in that connector is the dark green wire. So if that portion of the wiring is missing, I would just wire the compressor clutch directly from the pressure switch and be done. Assuming of course that the other wire (light green) to the pressure switch is present.

Last edited by Joe G; 12-08-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

Workin on the wires now. On my a/c pressure cycling switch, there are 2 black wires, 1 black & 1 black w/ white stripe. Which would be the light green & which would be the dark green? Also the wires go from the heater box to a 4pin connector. From that connecto there is a red, black, light green & dark green wire. What do I connect these wires to. Should the light green wire here go to the compressor?
Old 12-08-2008, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Workin on the wires now. On my a/c pressure cycling switch, there are 2 black wires, 1 black & 1 black w/ white stripe. Which would be the light green & which would be the dark green?
Doesn't matter...the switch is not polarity sensitive.

Quote:
Also the wires go from the heater box to a 4pin connector. From that connector there is a red, black, light green & dark green wire. What do I connect these wires to. Should the light green wire here go to the compressor?
Based on a diagram I have for an '80 Cutlass (should be the same):

Dark Green = power to A/C clutch
Black = Ground from A/C clutch (no longer needed in your case).
Red = Heavy power wire feeding the high speed relay for the heater blower.
Light Green = Power to fast idle solenoid.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G
Doesn't matter...the switch is not polarity sensitive.

Based on a diagram I have for an '80 Cutlass (should be the same):

Dark Green = power to A/C clutch
Black = Ground from A/C clutch (no longer needed in your case).
Red = Heavy power wire feeding the high speed relay for the heater blower.
Light Green = Power to fast idle solenoid.
Ok this is turning into chinese math. The high speed relay for the heater blower should be located where? & I have no idea what the fast idle solenoid is. Where should it be also. I may just have to go to u pull it and dismember the wiring in a Cutlass to get everything I need.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:39 PM

This is pretty standard wiring for most of this vintage of GM cars with air.

Red/orange wire - this wire runs directly from a power junction (with a 30 amp fuse near the junction) over to the blower relay. In other words, this relay always has power.

Relay control wires - these wires come from the dash switch and may run through a plug in the firewall. They operate the blower relay, and also switch in the resistors for the lower speeds. On high the relay connects full 12 volts to the blower (high speed), on low speeds it switches in one or more of the resistors to get the lower speeds.

The green compressor wire simply provides power to the clutch. Whatever cycling switch you have will be spliced inline with this wire, and the switch just controls the on-off of the compressor. On my truck there are two switches inline with the green wire - one cycles the compressor on and off based on temperature, and the other switches it off if pressure is too low. When I switched to R134 I added a third switch that cycles it off if the pressure gets too high.

On my truck the blower relay and resistors are mounted on the AC plenum under the hood. On cars they may have mounted them up under the dash. Both are relatively easy to find, since they have a large multiple wire bundle plugged into them.

Bruce
Old 12-08-2008, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok this is turning into chinese math. The high speed relay for the heater blower should be located where?
在我它位于加热器箱子在吹风机电阻器附近,在快速的无所事事的
螺线管在原始的工厂气化器登上的直流累加器之后。 当直流打开,它是目的是踢或维护空转速度。 因为您不跑工厂气化器,您不需要担心对此。 请包裹这根导线,因此它在任何东西不可能短缺和忘掉它。
可能您可能张贴您的加热器箱子的图片。 我们谈论的一切公开。 如果我可能看与什么一起使用您必须,我们可能从那里去。
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

On my '81 it is located on the heater box near the blower resistor, just behind the A/C accumulator. It's the rectangular can with the two mounting screws:

Quote:
I have no idea what the fast idle solenoid is. Where should it be also.
The fast idle solenoid was mounted on the original factory carburetor. It's purpose was to kick up or maintain the idle speed when the A/C was turned on. Since you're not running a factory carburetor, you need not worry about this. Just wrap this wire up so it can't short out on anything and forget about it.

Quote:
I may just have to go to u pull it and dismember the wiring in a Cutlass to get everything I need.
It may come to that.

Maybe you could post a picture of your heater box. Everything we're talking about is out in the open. If I could see what you have to work with, we could go from there.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

Ok. The high speed relay is there. I knew it was a relay just didnt know for what exactly. I'll take some good pics and post them tomorrow.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.