84 gm power steering leak at...(pressure plate) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 07:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
I think the clear was meant for hydro boost systems but it's fine to use w/out HB, just don't use trans fluid.
Rich

I may be making a mistake with the white covers, but the car is black & I'm color blind anyway so black & white looks great to me. HA HA
rich

those damn white seats ain''t no joke...... what color carpet are you going to run with?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

I just found the rebuild kit with the seals at auto zone for 6 dollars.

do you think its worth a try?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

its $6.99

i might try it.................. i guess all i got to lose is "time" and 7 bucks.....lol
Old 02-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Sure. Once the circlip is out of the back plate and the plate is out you can put in the o ring and re assemble. should be a piece of cake. Dont lose any of the pump vanes when doing so. If they fall out make sure to get them back in the way they came out as they "wear in" . you will see. just look at the wear pattern on them if some fall out. should be pretty obvious.Good luck.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:55 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

The least expensive one, black pile. & insulation/sound deadener
Rich
What all are you doing to the 84? do you like the crossfire? any problems with it?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
Sure. Once the circlip is out of the back plate and the plate is out you can put in the o ring and re assemble. should be a piece of cake. Dont lose any of the pump vanes when doing so. If they fall out make sure to get them back in the way they came out as they "wear in" . you will see. just look at the wear pattern on them if some fall out. should be pretty obvious.Good luck.
thanks for your help, on this one. I appreciate it
Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Rich
What all are you doing to the 84? do you like the crossfire? any problems with it?
man, I love my crossfire. When I was a young man, I was told many times to stay away from the crossfire injection. As I got older, I realized that the "rumors" where pure B/S. Sure the crossfire isnt super fast, but its reliable. My crossfire runs great, because I have a newer goodwrech motor with my orginal crossfire injection on top of it. Runs like a dream.

When I bought the damn car, I already had one. I love the C4 so much, I had to buy another. From day 1, as soon as i got my hands on her, she was leaking power steering fluid, transmission fluid, water pump looked like it was leaking, the damn oil pan, not the rear main seal was leaking, and the master cylinder was leaking slowly.

So I drove the car all last summer that way, until fluid was flying from the engine bay under neith the car, all the way to the back bumper. (seriously)

So what i did was, pulled the transmission, put new seals in it. Put a fresh pan gasket on it. I also Bought all new power steering hoses (3) of them, then I pulled the oil pan, water pump and threw my factory magnesium valve pans in the trash.

I also threw the factory (headers) manifods in the trash, then bought new headers.

then i painted the engine black and it looks very nice.

I also painted the engine bay and under coated the whole underneith the car.

plus i put a new fuel pump in it and a nice clean, 70 dollar alternotor from napa.

i also borrowed my 87 corvettes digital dash and stuck it in my 84. When I drive my 87, i stick it back in......Its only like 8 screw drivers (screws) holding it in, plus a plug or two.

So I take my digital dash, from car to car. BUT IT WORKS

I also bought a wood grain kit and now the car is wood and leather.......
Old 02-19-2011, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Rich

I used to be scared of Efi. Then when I got a good running t.b.i. I was able to understand how it works. The crossfire dosent have that many sensors,
just tps, knock sensor, ecm temp, o2 sensor, map, plus maybe 1 or 2 more.

After sitting around and reading as much info as I could on chevy t.b.i. I started to understand it.

I belive for a "carb mechanic" the crossfire injection was a good place to start learning how fuel injection on chevys works.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

heres my tread on painting my l83 crossfire injection
painting my (L83) CROSSFIRE INJECTION
Old 02-19-2011, 10:01 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Wood & Leather, great looking I suspect. Sounds like the previous owner just drove the snot out of it then sold it, but after cleaning it, it'll be nice & shiny. Oh! I see you undercoated it.
The crossfire. The people on the different corvette forms seam to like them. I watched an episode of two guys garage awhile back & they had nothing good to say about the system. something about warping can't remember what else, & they changed it to a manifold & carb set up.
I tried using my car for an aviator but it's so small I couldn't recognize it as a vett, I'm trying to do that resizing thing, I'll get it one of these times.
That cleaning & painting really made a big difference, it looks great. I thought the car was white until I read Silverback's reply asking what color it is. And I saw a comment about the cease fire from DV he's quite knowledgeable, I suspect he had one that didn't work well. Well we can chat more later, I can't keep my eyes open any longer. Thanks, I enjoyed talking with you.
Take care & keep safe,
Rich

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.