84 mustang - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 04:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

84 mustang

I was wondering what would the comparison be of:

#1 Installing a full drag launch kit on a 84 Mustang compared to
#2 Installing shock absorbers 90/10 in the front and 50/50 in the rear with a sports spring kit from eibach?
The car is used as a secondary driver in the summer with some track time.

Mikey

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2005, 06:03 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_mike

I was wondering what would the comparison be of:

#1 Installing a full drag launch kit on a 84 Mustang compared to

#2 Installing shock absorbers 90/10 in the front and 50/50 in the rear with a sports spring kit from eibach?

The car is used as a secondary driver in the summer with some track time.

Mikey
If this is a combination street/strip car, those 90/10 front drag struts may cause you to suckup your seat cover in certain situations.

For strip, I would use the worn struts with a lighter set of springs (6 cyl) and unhook the sway bar for track useage. Keep the OEM brakes for weight, make sure the control arm bushings are free and strut mounts are OK (adjustable would be nice for straight-up camber). Sub-Frame connectors and boxing the rear control arms (lower) will get you a cheap start-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2005, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

The car already has the front sway off. It has a 6 point roll cage. The rearend has adjustable upper control arms and the reason for the new springs is because the current ones are weak. The only negative side of the full drag launch kit is its stance. I am looking for a lowered sleeker stance while keeping its launching capability. For the front shocks, i suppose adjustable would be preferable in my case?

Mikey
Old 12-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
The car already has the front sway off. It has a 6 point roll cage. The rearend has adjustable upper control arms and the reason for the new springs is because the current ones are weak. The only negative side of the full drag launch kit is its stance. I am looking for a lowered sleeker stance while keeping its launching capability. For the front shocks, i suppose adjustable would be preferable in my case?

Mikey
explain the weak rear spring thing...... what exactly are you using for your criteria?

A properly set up rear end will launch with NO weight on the springs.... springs don't even have to be in there... they only hold up the car until the light turns green.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:01 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:

Mikey
You need stronger springs on the rear. Eibach are for another purpose, lowering and road race aren't they? Someone has to make a stronger spring without going to that much cost (can you tell I'm cheap?).

If you are able to drive on the street without a sway bar, a front set of drag struts isn't going to make much difference. A set of adjustable (as in KONI) are extremely expensive to make a combination street/strip car in my opinion. You will get used to the slow lowering and harsh ride.

A cheap (or used) front spring along with a shorter (possibly cut) rear spring will give it more strength and lower it also. You would have to experiment with used springs (and cutting) or go to expensive drag springs.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

The car currently has cut off 'old springs' to have the stance lowered.....basically i want the lowered stance but on new springs. I thought even though the front sway is off, it wont hurt having new springs installed for cornering purposes? The car launches pretty good right now with the setup it has, and has ran in the mid 12s on street tires. But if everything goes as planned, by next summer the engine is going to get more power....needing better traction at the rear wheels on launches. Another problem is that it could use better cornering capabilities. I am focusing more on the launching that cornering though...and i know i cant get the best of both worlds here...i am only looking for ways to improve the weight transfer on launches while keeping it somewhat streetable and manageable in corners.

Keep those inputs coming guys. Thanx

Mikey
Old 12-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
The car currently has cut off 'old springs' to have the stance lowered.....basically i want the lowered stance but on new springs. I thought even though the front sway is off, it wont hurt having new springs installed for cornering purposes? The car launches pretty good right now with the setup it has, and has ran in the mid 12s on street tires. But if everything goes as planned, by next summer the engine is going to get more power....needing better traction at the rear wheels on launches. Another problem is that it could use better cornering capabilities. I am focusing more on the launching that cornering though...and i know i cant get the best of both worlds here...i am only looking for ways to improve the weight transfer on launches while keeping it somewhat streetable and manageable in corners.

Keep those inputs coming guys. Thanx

Mikey
Reattach the bar for street use.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.