84 TA Emissions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2002, 08:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 84 TA Emissions

Hey, I'm new. Hope y'all are doing allright.

Anyway, I've got this car sitting where it's been for a few years. I really hacked the hell out of it a few years ago. It's got a 355 Chevy (I hope this doesn't offend anyone) with a pretty hot cam, manifold, headers, etc but no smog pump, EGR, cats, anything. I also have true dual exhaust going through glasspacks and coming out sidepipes right in front of the rear wheels.
Yes. So ******, but soooooooo illegal. In Massachusetts, anyway, where I was when I built the car. I only drove it for two weeks, the grace period that you have between registering it and getting an emission inspection! I still can't beleive it. Now, of all places, I'm thinking that I'm going to end up in So California. Damn!
I want to build a 383 but how am I going to pull this off? I'm in Texas right now; how anal are they here, or New York state, or Mass? I mean, from what I read on the government sites you can't do anything different from what the manufacturers submitted to the EPA for approval. Unless I want to do it exactly like a later model year. And that would kind of suck.
I know I could make it look pretty close to stock, sleeper like, ya know, but how close do they look? With the 383 I'd definitely have the cats and smog pump and all that crap because that stuff wouldn't be too hard to rig up but are they gonna hear the cam? And that sucky *** carb they had in 84, would they notice if that changed?
I was thinking of going with a multi point injection system with a TPI manifold from a later FI 3rd gen.
Help! Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2002, 01:24 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

hey im the other new guy that did the same exact emissions hack.now i too want to change my car back(im in the general questions section) anyway if all your worryed about is the carb and cam crane makes fairly healthy 50 state cams for s/b chevys.and as far as the electric Q-jet (believe me i know)have a shop do a performance rebuild. i would think if done right a Q- jet could work they have enough cfm. i dont know about that sniffer crap though.
Old 05-25-2002, 05:21 AM
All Throttle...No Bottle

First things first....get rid of the glass packs, or at least run your pipes back behind the rearend. I have a friend that got pulled over in California because they spotted his pipes exiting in front of the rear tires. I would trash the glasspacks and go with Flowmasters or some type of performance mufflers and exit them out the rear of the car. In Louisiana we have to have our vehicles inspected every year but luckely I know someone that will slap a sticker on without checking. Sorry I couldnt be of more help but I'm sure someone here will answer your questions. Good luck...HRS10
Old 05-26-2002, 01:01 PM

go to the port fuel injection these units produce 35% fewer emissions over carburated engines and give 30% better milage, this way when the sniffer reads for a carb engine you will be in range.Get rid of the glasspacks???? these make excellent resonators behind flowmasters but use tail pipes, short exhaust is reason for lawenforcement to look your vehicle throughly.I live in Massachusetts and basically here you only have to fool the machine for emmissions. use the cats they change hydrocarbons into sulfides and the machine is looking for the hydrocarbons,synthetic oil is another way to cut down the hydrocarbons,the use of the AIR also dilutes the emmissions(like adding water to wiskey).run it hard and long before testing to clean it out,water injection will keep your cylinders clean.As for what they do in california ,don't know don't care ain't never going to that communist stronghold,they started all this emmission crap,do you know they had serious pollution before there were cars,trains,planes.Now they're poluted with liberals,illegal aliens,and wackos

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.