84 trans am will not start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 12:32 AM
bojack6

Wiki Edits: 0

84 trans am will not start

I bought this older trans am , but after I got her started,she would not fire up again.At first I thought it was a bad short because the braid from the fire wall turning red hot,anyways i got that figured out,then I took the starter out an rebuilt that an checked it,but now there-is enough juice to start it but it will not turn over now,everythings hooked up and I checked it all out ,many times Im thinking it could be the clutch,or the safety on it.I dont know much about that but its really getting to me.What you boys think or can you please give me a couple things to look for or point me in the right direction.Thanks bojack6

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Info

Doc here,

More info is required please,

First, What year, engine T/A is this?

Is JUST the starter not turning, or is everything on the car dead (lights, radio etc)?

Check and clean your battery cables, be sure they are tight and clean.

Where is the ground cable located at right now?

Does the solenoid CLICK when you hit the key?

Some of the things that cause the starter not to turn are (of course) Bad starter, Bad Solenoid, dirty & loose battery cables, Burned Fusible link, (cuts power to solenoid energize line) Starter improperly shimmed, (too far in/out, up/down) Starter-drive gear frozen and binding, just to name a few.

Have you tried using a remote start switch (and I didn't say it...a screwdriver across the "S" Terminal to the big main terminal) on the solenoid? Does it turn then? If so the fault is in the wiring..

If not, pull the starter and test it out of the car..(in a BIG tight vise) it should energize the solenoid, and spin up real fast, not slowly come to speed..Or just take the starter to the local auto parts house , they can test it for you.

Give us more info, and try those things listed and post back with the results, we can better help you, rather than guessing more than must do not being there, anyway! LOL

Doc
Old 04-26-2005, 12:43 AM
bojack6

thanks doc

Lke I said tried the remote switch today,and it was clicking,all the lights an radio works,your probley right bad cable.It tried to fire with a smaller battery but no go,check it out tomorrow after work again .Oh by the way its 84 tm.At least I got rid of the short it was draining everything every nite.Hey Doc ill try again tomorrow THANKS ALOT......AN IF IT STARTS 2MRROW YOUR MY GOD
Old 04-26-2005, 12:51 AM
bojack6

Doc Left A Few Things Out

My trans is a 84 you know knight rider style a small 305 but has headers with a very large exhaust[been stopped twice in one nite they said it had no exhaust ]by the way the only time I had it running.But hey thanks again.bojack[Brian,Las Vegas NV]Oh yeah my ground is hooked to the block.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.