Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

84 vette

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  saltbob 
#1 ·
:confused: ok I now have my paper from summit gear reduction starters it states distance from pinion to flexplate.100+/0.040 inch) (2.54 mm) see photo
I need to know this plain terms 1/8 1/4 so on I have not had any luck
converting it. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
starter issues

there are 2 main flywheels chevy used... past that ive never used shims and never had any problems except one... 89 gmc pickup with a big block... eventually i discovered the reason i couldnt get the starter close enough to the fly wheel was ... the area on the block where the starter bolts up had not been machined down far enough from the factory. a quick trip to yakima grinding and never again will i chew off teeth on a flywheel... hope this helps or at least is a thought

#8 ·
In the photo it appears the leading face of the pinion gear is much farther away from the edge of the flex plate, which would account for only partial engagement.

Old thread - but I just wanted to pass along I purchased an 80 Vette a while back that the PO had used a Summit or Jegs starter with the exact same results.
BE cautious and check the engagement out before you ruin a ring gear when installing an aftermarket starter.

#9 ·
I installed a Powermaster Sbc starter and I had opposite results.
The starter gear was about 1mm away from the flexplate. I tried to run it to see how it would work and there wasnt enough room to let the gear come back, the starter ran with the engine. When I shut it down the gear came back.
So I got an Internal shim kit from Summit. Moves the body/gear back and is now clearanced to spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.