Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   '85 700r4 work in a 1990 k1500 (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/85-700r4-work-1990-k1500-130961.html)

Burnsumrubber305 01-04-2008 02:27 PM

'85 700r4 work in a 1990 k1500

I have a 1990 4x4 k1500, transmission was a 4l60 before I lost 3rd and OD. I put a replacement 1987 700r4 in and it wouldn't shift out of first. I swapped/replaced governer, valve bodies, tv cable, tv valve, fluid, filter, even checked the wiring but none of it solved the problem. From this point I just want to start over and put a different transmission in. I'm 17 and on a low budget so rebuilt tranny's are out of my reach for now, I know a guy who has a 1985 4x4 700r4 and another guy has one out of an '86 burb.

SOOO main question, will the older 700r4's work with the '90 truck. I am aware that the 1984 and below 700's are one's to stay away from. Also, as far as I know the lockup control should work the same since the 4l60's below '93 were electronically controlled. Any information (faster the better) would be appreciated. Thaanks.

curtis73 01-04-2008 03:21 PM

There were subtle differences between the 4L60 and the 700, but they are basically the same tranny. Should be no trouble at all if you have it hooked up correctly.

Crosley 01-04-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

I have a 1990 4x4 k1500, transmission was a 4l60 before I lost 3rd and OD. I put a replacement 1987 700r4 in and it wouldn't shift out of first. I swapped/replaced governer, valve bodies, tv cable, tv valve, fluid, filter, even checked the wiring but none of it solved the problem.

From this point I just want to start over and put a different transmission in. I'm 17 and on a low budget so rebuilt tranny's are out of my reach for now, I know a guy who has a 1985 4x4 700r4 and another guy has one out of an '86 burb.

SOOO main question, will the older 700r4's work with the '90 truck. I am aware that the 1984 and below 700's are one's to stay away from. Also, as far as I know the lockup control should work the same since the 4l60's below '93 were electronically controlled. Any information (faster the better) would be appreciated. Thaanks.

I am sitting here wondering what part of the information I provided via private messages ( to you) that you did not understand?

You also told me the 1987 trans you installed (and did not work/shift) was a rebuilt unit? Did that change?

As I responded , the earlier 4x4 trans units will bolt in . I also mentioned the wire harness from the 1990 trans must be installed into the replacement trans and also check/swap the pressure switch on the valve body. That pressure switch needs to be on your 1990 vehicle too. Gm used 2 types ; normally open and normally closed.

Swapping v-bodys and parts around is not wise... parts mismatch may have created more problems and caused a good unit to not function.

bolting in another unit of unknown condition may have the same results ------- problems

:cool:

briscoe 01-04-2008 08:02 PM

700r4

Patience Tony, patience. :)

And by the way, burnsumrubber305, what the heck is the matter with you.

79C10 01-04-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosley
......Swapping v-bodys and parts around is not wise... parts mismatch may have created more problems and caused a good unit to not function.

bolting in another unit of unknown condition may have the same results ------- problems

All part of what I call the "Mystical Chevrolet all parts intertchange'' theory.... It's true that they have numerous more interchangeable parts than some other manufacturers , but that don't mean that they ALL interchange. I mean , if you know what youre up to , you might MAKE it work ( :D ) , but that's up to your skill level.

Burnsumrubber305 01-04-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briscoe
Patience Tony, patience. :)

And by the way, burnsumrubber305, what the heck is the matter with you.

In response to Crosley, all the information you provided was helpful and obviously I read it more then once before posting, so yes it was clear what you were saying, I was mainly seeing if somebody has done a similar swap and if there was any tips or guidelines anyone had. As I also mentioned I'm not experienced with transmissions, you would probably say I shouldn't be touching them then, but I like to be able to at least say I tried. The '87 was rebuilt as I told you, I found out yesterday however that it was rebuilt by the previous owner and after his burb was totalled the vehicle sat for a few months and then was pulled down a road in neutral for 6 miles to his friends where they parted it out. Good to know now... After installing it in the truck and finding it wouldn't shift out of first, I figured both transmissions were junk so why not open it up and see what it looks like so I at least have a visual of what's going on, some people I talked to before I registered on here said swapping the valve bodies was fine, so how would I know otherwise that swapping parts could cause issues. I know much more now then I did even two days ago, so bear with me if that's possible for you more experienced guys on here..

Annnd Briscoe, I know you know your stuff just as crosley does and I would prefer not to be on anyones bad side, as far as what is the matter with me... idk, why don't you tell me, I figured saying I was 17 would make it clear enough that I'm new to it all and I'm gonna end up doing stupid ****, I figured it would be more productive for me to try to understand it before I pulled it rather then remove it and pull it down the road behind my truck like my buddy did and watch it break into pieces.

As I said, try to bear with me here.. I'll get it eventually. :smash:

briscoe 01-05-2008 11:48 AM

700r4

Burnsumrubber305, what the heck is the matter with you, was a rhetorical question. Based on the information you had already been given, by Crosley.

I was 17 once as well, so I realize your level of awareness is not that great in this area.

But as dumb as a person can be at that age you still exhibit the signs of a person that can determine when he is getting good info and being bright enough to put that information to good use.

I may be wrong though.

Your not on my bad side, I will be glad to help you with any question you post. :)

But you must post back correct answers and info when asked as well, you did not do this with Crosley.

You should not be surprised with the content of Crosley's follow up post.

Crosley 01-05-2008 11:56 AM

my post was one of confusion since we had discussed this problem via the PM system before brunsrubber ever posted his first post on HR.

1987 is a cross over year for the valve bodies on the 700 / 4L60 trans. there are early and late designs.

Early design with NO aux v-body.

early design with a aux v-body

Late design with aux v-body.

You must be careful of parts mismatch and check balls used with each design.

Burnsumrubber305 01-05-2008 10:09 PM

Thanks for understanding guys. :D

Annyway, I debated whether to ask or not but what is an aux. v-body?

Update on my truck.. I used it today to move my car trailer, once the trailer was off I decided to take it up the street and throw in a couple powerslides (Minnesota = Snow). As I was going up the street (3/4 throttle) with tires spinning it shifted, however it shifted into 3rd (I was idling at 30mph). I drove it around the block a few times and it would consistently shift but at a very high rpm. The first things that I think of are the governer (which is out of the '90..) or the TV cable mis-adjusted. But with either of those it still wouldn't cause the jump in shifting would it?
~~~~
Also I had a thought earlier today, I still have all the checkballs and all the original valve body parts that came out of the '87 700r4 that's in the truck, based on what you've said about the various valve body setups used, would I be better off just putting the original valve body and governer back in or is it to late for that? The only reason I didnt do that originally was because the TV valve was very sticky in the '87 where as the '90 valve body wasn't, and again at the time I installed it I thought it was all interchangable so why waste time with the '87 when the '90 was perfectly fine.... whoops. :embarrass

Chevrolet4x4s 01-06-2008 05:58 AM

Did you happen to put a new filter in?Dirty filters can cause some strang things to occur.
Shane

briscoe 01-07-2008 03:34 PM

85 700r4

The aux vb is that alum thing that is at the rear of the trans, right behind the main vb, the one that has the tube coming from the pump that goes into it. Forward clutch feed.

As Crosley pointed out, swapping vb and other parts can get you into trouble.

I would put the original stuff back on this trans. Along with the correct harness and switch.

As per your trans not upshifting, sticky TV valves are a huge problem for the 7ooR4.

For about $30.00 you can buy the Trans Go jr shift kit, which comes with a TV valve that will not stick.

Easy to install, has good directions as well.

Every 700R4 we build at my shop has this kit installed.

Burnsumrubber305 01-07-2008 10:22 PM

Yeah my '87 Iroc-z had the trans go shift kit installed in it when I bought the rebuilt tranny and I never had any issues with it shifting bad so I know hands on it does its job

As far as the 700 that's in my truck, for some reason it decided to start shifting into 3rd, but skips 2nd and I havent gotten a chance to see if I still have OD yet. I think this is a band issue from what i've read but idk, my original tranny in my Iroc did this exaxt same thing.

If you know any cure to that problem let me know, otherwise im thinking I'll probably just sell the truck to raise some funding for my '89 355 s10 blazer :D, I have another k1500 anyway.

Burnsumrubber305 01-07-2008 10:56 PM

Hey Briscoe--

I was reading a thread you had with user longracing25, his transmission wasnt shifting out of first as mine wasnt, as well as another thread where if I remember right, the tv valve could be a culpret with my transmission skipping 2nd & OD

Up to this point I was thinking that the "stuck valve" was the plunger not moving, i have not even looked that far into the actual valve which explained a lot.

Before I go and take my valve body out again and buy/install a trans go jr as you recommended, in your educated opinion do you think the TV valve could be the reason it's skipping OD? Or is this most likely shot bands?

tnsmith10 01-08-2008 06:43 PM

with no 2nd and no 4th, does it have reverse? that would be a sign of a bad sunshell..
2nd and 4th do share a band appied by the servo on the passenger side of the case.
if ur planning on doing any of this yourself, 1st get a book., second, make sure u have a trans of proper year, and 3rd take pics or record on video how u take it apart, could be helpfull on re-assembly..
best choice, take it to someone who does it on a daily basis at a trans shop.
at least u get a warranty! :)

Burnsumrubber305 01-09-2008 09:20 AM

It has Reverse..

I was guessing it was a band issue, I'll probably just drive it the way it is till something gives out and then just give it to a shop as a core if it dies altogether.