Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '85 700r4 work in a 1990 k1500
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
I have a 1990 4x4 k1500, transmission was a 4l60 before I lost 3rd and OD. I put a replacement 1987 700r4 in and it wouldn't shift out of first. I swapped/replaced governer, valve bodies, tv cable, tv valve, fluid, filter, even checked the wiring but none of it solved the problem.

From this point I just want to start over and put a different transmission in. I'm 17 and on a low budget so rebuilt tranny's are out of my reach for now, I know a guy who has a 1985 4x4 700r4 and another guy has one out of an '86 burb.

SOOO main question, will the older 700r4's work with the '90 truck. I am aware that the 1984 and below 700's are one's to stay away from. Also, as far as I know the lockup control should work the same since the 4l60's below '93 were electronically controlled. Any information (faster the better) would be appreciated. Thaanks.

I am sitting here wondering what part of the information I provided via private messages ( to you) that you did not understand?

You also told me the 1987 trans you installed (and did not work/shift) was a rebuilt unit? Did that change?

As I responded , the earlier 4x4 trans units will bolt in . I also mentioned the wire harness from the 1990 trans must be installed into the replacement trans and also check/swap the pressure switch on the valve body. That pressure switch needs to be on your 1990 vehicle too. Gm used 2 types ; normally open and normally closed.

Swapping v-bodys and parts around is not wise... parts mismatch may have created more problems and caused a good unit to not function.

bolting in another unit of unknown condition may have the same results ------- problems